Westhaven-Bayswater Marina Berth wanted

smithy09

OK. Got down to Westhaven at 4.15 or so on Friday and got a quick rundown from the previous owner. Then together with a mate, his son, and my two boys, set off for a quick sail up to Rangi light to see how it works.

Getting the main up is a doddle with an electrica halyard winch.. The batten cars work really well also.

Just put up the cruising #3 to keep it simple and set off up the harbour in about 10-15kn. In the puffs she powered up really fast even with the small sail on. Everything worked well though, and it steers great. Runners are just another string to pull and just adds one more complication to tacks and gybes, especailly with inexperienced crew (and skipper!)

Coming back from just beyond Rangi light, we put up the 3/4 kite with the small alloy pole, again just to see how everything works. The wind dropped to under 10kn and we had a quiet drift into Bayswater, putting in a few gybes while it was quiet to see how it all worked. Got everything down, and into Bayswater by about 8.30..

All good, no damage, Kids and Mate loved the boat. Personally I know I have a lot to learn, and it will all be diferent in 20 knots....

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

The dramas started the next day.. We had a 2 day opti regatta at Kohi, so it was a busy weekend, but we had left the boat's dinghy behind at Westhaven. So inbetween races on Sat I took teh RIB up to Westhaven and picked up the dinghy then dropped it over at the boat in Bayswater. Had a look inside, and found water almost up to the floorboards.. WTF?? Left it, but came back that evening to pump it out. 200 litres or so later and it was dry.

During the sail, I found the log was u/s so I pulled the paddle wheel and found it covered in crud. Cleaned it up and replaced it, but I must have got a bit of crud or seaweed or something caught around the O ring allowing a small dribble to come past the O ring.. Duh!

First sail, and I almost sink her.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Getting the main up is a doddle with an electrica halyard winch.. The batten cars work really well also.

You will learn to love that electric winch for anything, especially the spin sheet when you cant be bothered winding...

And the batten cars are awesome, was worth the two days i spent up the mast drilling and tapping the bloody things on!

Agreed Marshy. It is a really nice Gucci extra. I wouldn't like to have a main that size on a luff rope. It would be a Mare wouldn't it? Still got a lot to learn about the rig though.

Probably the wrong man to ask, but what would you reccomend for yearly maintenance? Surely not stick out every time?

Sometimes those removable log plugs don't seat right down Smithy, they have a little locating tenon to get them aligned bang on. If that isn't right it'll sit up a fraction and leak.

Congratulations again though.Photos look great.

Archived