Mix T Motions RNI race report

RNI Race Report for Mix T Motions, Tom Renhart and Ben Allen

Leg 1 Auckland to Manganui

The Race started on the 19th of February, which was a beautiful sunny day with very little wind.

Family and friends came down to X-Pier to wish us well, my son Toby poured some champagne over the foredeck for good luck and we drank the rest.

On the start line we were among a group of boats who were across the line before the gun (there’s always a first time) so we turned back and probably lost about 20 minutes, it seemed like more, get it in perspective boys. I could feel dad’s binoculars boring into me from North Head. Rounding North head we had a plan to keep on the east coast bays side, and our luck changed here, when we dialed up our own personal cloud, the circle of wind beneath this cloud stayed with us all the way to Tiri Channel where we caught up with the rest of the parked up fleet, (our spirits soared). We could see Akatea tacking backwards and forwards inside Whangaparoa Peninsula. What were they still doing back here? The run to Manganui was a slow and frustrating one because of the light conditions. We ended up going outside the Hen and Chickens in search of more wind during the night, and we found it, having a good run with the masthead kite, reaching a top speed of 8.5 knots. We had to change to a gennaker after that to accommodate a new wind angle as we headed off towards Cape Brett. Cape Brett was really to test our patience as we were camped up here for most of the day, spending a good 5 hrs close to Piercy Island with the sails flapping, doing circles. Tom said he was sweating like a rapist, I told him to drink plenty of water.

As our second night at sea began we finally said farewell to Cape Brett, and began sailing again, with good steady run to the Cavallis. From the Cavallis to Manganui the breeze off the land became very patchy, I had some fun on my watch playing snakes and ladders with the bigger boats, which should have been much further ahead of us. Approaching the finish line and just before coming around Berghan Point we were ahead of about 9 boats and doing well, we glided up close to Open Country at the point in the hope of overtaking. This ended up being a mistake as we lost the wind, and we had to sit there and watch, as all our good work was undone, one by one the boats sailed past us only 50 metres away. When we got into the bay, we were on the hunt for wind, the left side looked good so we proceeded to put in short tacks down here. The others went to the right, then the wind left us and went to the right, and we again watched as more boats overtook, one of them being Halo which came from about 4 miles behind us. We had just slid down a very big snake. We were thankful however that we crossed the line before the tide turned, or we could have drifted back out into the bay for god knows how long. Despite being last across the line (did I mention we weren’t happy with this), we managed to get third on PHRF handicap in our division. The Manganui yacht club turned it on for us, with a great prize giving and feast that night, all the crews were psyching themselves up for the next leg of the race in the Tasman sea down the west coast to Wellington, putting food in the belly, drinking plenty of water and not to much beer (well most of us anyway). A tropical cyclone featured in the forecast, but no one seemed too worried about the affects of this as it was forecast to go down the east coast.

Leg 2 Manganui to Wellington

We left Manganui the next morning in light winds again. Just before darkness fell that night we received news of the Christchurch earthquake. Tom and I were able to check friends and relatives were safe; still it was a weight that we carried. That night after rounding North Cape we were entertained with traffic from other boats on channel 16. Someone was calling the big ship (“big ship” “big ship”), someone else was calling Roxton (Truxton), and Clear Vision was trying to obtain the exact movements of a fishing vessel that was doing circles somewhere near Cape Rienga. The big ship passed us reasonably close by and we were able to confirm that we showed up on radar. In the early hours of the morning we rounded Cape Rienga, then Cape Maria Van Diemen, then we were in the Tasman. After all that flat boat sailing and becalmments it was a bit of a shock to suddenly be perched on the back of a bucking Rodeo Bull of a yacht! Tom asked if this was what I had expected? And I replied quite calmly “the Tasman’s always like this”. Moving around Mix T Motions became very difficult and uncomfortable, even going from one side of the cockpit to the other was a crawl. Tom quickly succumbed to seasickness. Are we having fun yet? We were hard on the wind and heading out to sea, the question was how far out do you go? We settled on about 100 Nautical Miles, before tacking back in about 40 then tacking back again. The angle gradually improved for us on this third tack and we were able to keep on it for 3 days and nights. It was on the nose sailing in 20-25 knots of wind, and the boat continued to shake us up, We both went into hunker down mode, which consisted of 3hrs on and 3 hrs off, one up one down. The best place to be was in our bunks, and compared with the cockpit this was a relatively calm place to be. I lived on muesli bars, and Tom tried to keep some water down. Waves were continually breaking across the deck, it was like someone throwing a bucket of water in your face every 10 minutes, and then every hour or so the cockpit would become awash with a larger wave. The auto helm (Wilson) was steering like a pro; the sails were well balanced (two reefs in the main and a few rolls in the headsail). Being passengers and not having to steer meant weren’t too fatigued, the wetness however gradually made its way through our wet weather gear and then the warm clothes beneath, lowering our morale. We left all our gear on all the time and retired to our bunks wet. The thermarests we had instead of squabs to sleep on really came into their own, as they didn’t absorb the water and were surprisingly comfortable. On one of these dark nights we hit something in the water, there was a loud thud at the bow and the boat was slowed from 5kts Boat speed to 2. We looked over the side to see a large glowing mass, pass down our starboard side. Thoughts of punctures in the hull raced through our minds as we raced forward to inspect for damage and leaks. We could find none internally, and it was impossible see much externally. We reported the event at our next sched and were informed Surreal had hit a whale that night also. Another night we were riveted to channel 16 as the drama unfolded around Fine lines dismasting, we felt for them. We hadn’t seen any other boats since the second night, and for some reason presumed that they were all ahead (your mind plays tricks on you out there). Our course took us straight to New Plymouth and as we closed the coast we had to make a decision, do we carry on or stop. We did have a concern, the bilges were filling with water, despite none coming through from above. We decided to go in and check it out. Once in, we discovered our freshwater tank (a bladder) had ruptured. This was a relief and after the discovery we were keen to get back out there, spirits were restored. The lads from Andar came over for a chat (they almost lost their keel and thei yacht was currently suspended from a crane not far from us). We had enough one litre bottles and a 10 litre container of emergency water on board to sort the problem. We also took our time here to get a handle on the weather forecast so we could plan our approach to Cook Straight. There was to be a bit of a blow that night, easing, then going light then a NW change late morning. We made our move heading out there into 35knots on the nose, not before being becalmed for another 4 hrs. On our way out we passed Windarra heading back in to NP. We tacked amongst the oil rigs throughout the night, ready for the run into Cook Straight the next day. Before getting the good wind, we had to endure being becalmed again for another 5 hrs. Then at about 1pm it finally came, and out came the spinnakers, high fives all round. As the wind steadily built we changed our sails, until we had aired most of our wardrobe. The run through Cook Straight was a white knuckle ride in the dark, it was a jet black night with no moon, and I saw nothing of Cook straight. We kept the fractional kite up for as long as we dared, getting to a top speed of 15knots. It was full concentration on the helm, to avoid a gybe, the confused seas, requiring some anticipation ( push, pull, PUSH). I was dosed up on “v” drinks and chocolate coated coffee beans to keep alert. Tom was calling the shots from the GPS much as a rally car drivers navigator does. Eventually we had to drop the kite and I did this by gut feeling. The wind was building so we proceeded with two reefs only. We were about to experience the wind factory, I feared for the rig going through here, as the boat would surf down steep wave faces. As we turned, the wind just got stronger and stronger, as we planed down waves at 15kts. This is the first time I have really surfed in Mix T Motions, and we were getting 20-30 second runs, going faster and faster, exhilarating and frightening at the same time. It was a relief to turn into the wind again for the beat up Wellington Harbour in 30 knots, having good pressure meant we didn’t have any issues with tides or rips, and although we were exhausted, we were soon across the finish line. It was about 5.30 in the morning. We had made it to Wellington. 5 days and 19 hrs had elapsed. We had crossed ahead of Open Country, Windarra, and Halo. We were 2nd on PHRF for division 4 behind Halo and 10th overall on PHRF.

Leg 3 - Wellington to Napier

The start day in Wellington was a stormy one, strong winds and horizontal rain. Crews were concerned with what they would find around the corner at Cape Palliser. Mix T Motions was tied up in the worst place on the marina, she was exposed to the waves coming in under the pier, it was hard to watch her violently wrenching at her mooring lines, surely something would give. Stretchy rope and fenders were borrowed to minimize it. The forecast was for the storm to peak at 1pm and a start time of 3pm was established. The plan was to get the boats out there in enough pressure to get them as far around the corner as possible before the winds went light. The wind was still strong on the start line. We were in a conservative mood, so put a third reef in for the first time ever. For some of the boats it was a bit of a mission getting out of the marina in the strong winds. But at about 4pm we were away. It was a nice quick run out of Wellington harbour, and when we got into Palliser bay it felt like we could handle more sail, so we threw up our smallest gennaker. This helped to keep us ahead of three other boats (Windarra, Island Girl and Vesper). As we approached Cape Palliser the winds got even lighter, so we changed to our biggest gennaker (big Blue). As the wind angle changed and night approached we went to a kite. I had a bit of a Mare on the foredeck that night, with various halyards and clips not behaving themselves and our only masthead halyard ending up unclipped and at the top of the mast (bugger). If conditions allowed I would go up the mast in the morning. So it was the fractional spinnaker for the night, this sail has a really good shape and is not prone to collapsing in light rocking conditions, our position report in the morning showed we had had a good night. In the morning I went up the mast on the fractional halyard and surprised myself by managing to snare the small rope loop next to the clip with the boat hook and retrieve the halyard. After we got round Cape Turn Again (what a great name for a Cape) and in the middle of our second night at sea, conditions got rough again and we had 35 knots on the nose with a lumpy and unpredictable sea state. We were in close visual contact with Windarra during this time and managed to put some distance between them and us in the rough. The waves were not coming from the same direction as the wind. This meant that when we were on a port tack we were attacking the waves head on and the boat would slam and crash, however on the starboard tack, the action was softer but wetter as waves would break over the boat side on. We only had to endure about 12 hours of this, before the wind eased and the seas flattened out. After rounding Cape Kidnappers we were able to lay the finish line at Napier. Windarra was not far behind. It was fun racing them to the finish, and we managed to hold them off and beat them on line. Cara Vita and Physical Favours were also visible crossing the line ahead of us. 2 days and 2 hrs had elapsed. We were 2nd on handicap in our division behind Open Country (who had had a blinder). We were 11nth overall on handicap.

Leg 4 - Napier to Auckland

Our start was delayed for 24hrs because of yet another storm passing through. The forecast mentioned gusts of 60 knots and waves of 5m. Brent from Bird on the wing, showed us his computer info and stated “that’s a lot of wind bro” “a lot of wind bro”. We certainly had no inclination to be at sea in those conditions. The start the next day allowed most boats to hoist a kite of some description, our hoist was a little messy, but once we got it up we had a great run under the fractional spinnaker to Portland Island off Mahia Peninsula, averaging a speed of 8.5 knots, we were happy campers. After we turned the corner we were back to two sails, and an unsettled sea state, which made running squar difficult. At one point I was steering and three large (about 2/3 the height of the mast) breaking rogue waves loomed up behind me. Thankfully we rode over them without mishap, but they made me feel insecure. That night news of Pepes dismasting reached us over the VHF, from their position they must have been going fast, possibly flying a kite. Although the wind was from behind, it was a very uncomfortable night due to the sea state. There were also plenty of very black clouds, with extra wind associated. We decided to continue just under mainsail, so that we could run as square as possible. Our top speed for the night was 16.1 knots while surfing down a wave. It was another night of intense concentration, and we were both tired when morning finally came. The night had put us further offshore than desired. Tacking over we were now two sail reaching towards East Cape, occasionally reaching speeds of 11-12knots, in about 25knots of wind. As we neared East Cape, the wind got stronger and stronger. For piece of mind we put in the third reef again, “that’s better”, still doing 8.5 – 9 knots. Wind around 40 knots. Seas lumpy and confused as you would expect. Tom got me upstairs to witness a large water spout close by (what next). During my watch the sea made a dramatic change of colour from dark green to a bright light turquoise green. As we rounded the Cape we sighted another boat in close, it was Caro Vita. Then the wind eased until wee were virtually becalmed again. So all that wind had been associated with the Cape, the Cape of Capes, worthy of respect. As we got out a bit the wind increased, the dark clouds were still around, and this time it was a bonus when you lucked into one. On my watch I managed to gybe the kite alone and overtake two boats, by riding under a black cloud. We used the same fractional kite that we used off the Wairarapa coast. By morning we were well out into the bay of plenty, and by that afternoon we were closing Cape Collville. We were beginning to anticipate the finish line. We had light winds under kite going through the Collville Channel. We could see Caro Vita behind. From the sched, Windarra and Island Girl were about 10 miles ahead. We were keen to try and catch them, so as we turned we hoisted our big blue gennaker again. It was a beautiful thing, good boat speed, a great sunset, Pink Floyd playing on the stereo and a sickle orange moon, which went down soon after the sun. However the inevitable was to happen and we eventually lost the wind. Our excitement waned and it turned into another long night of becalmments. Windarra went down the northern side of Rangitoto, and did well. Off Motutapu, we managed to drift ahead of Vesper and Island Girl under our Code 0. It was exhausting work tacking it by yourself. By morning Island Girl had crept ahead of us again, and it was a slow and frustrating tack up the harbour with the Code 0 to the finish line, Vesper had dropped behind, and Caro Vita were behind them.

We had finished. It had been an epic race for Mix T Motions (the smallest boat in the fleet). It was a great feeling to finish and be home (having survived with little damage). Putting Mix T Motions back to rest on her pile mooring (for her next outing - cruising), that’s enough excitement for a while.

Overall we ended up first in our division on handicap, and 8th overall on handicap. 6th on IRC. We got third on handicap for the last leg, which took 3 days. Thanks heaps to NZ Maritime radio, who did a magnificent job with the scheds. Thanks to all the race committee particularly David Cook, Cameron Thorpe, Brian Murray and Steve Ashley. Thanks also to the yacht clubs, who generously hosted us at the three stopover locations.

Brilliant brilliant report, all the way through I was on the edge of my seat to see what would happen next.

My favourite line - top effort! :clap:

On my watch I managed to gybe the kite alone and overtake two boats, by riding under a black cloud.

Good report, and congrats again on the excellent result, sounds like we will see you again in the TGA race.

We were hoping you didn't notice us turning around and heading down the other side of Rangi we could see all the lights getting closer and closer and was a bit disconcerting to turn around and head straight at them.

Yes we had Adrian off Open Country to thank for that call he had told me about getting passed in the White Island race there, apparently no Night Breeze in drifting conditions between Rangi and Waiheke, still took us about 4 hours of going nowhere to decide to give it a try. Was upwind in close to Rangi and Motutapu and then the kite up across the shipping lane to Takapuna then back hard on the wind on the other tack around North Head, was interesting we were both getting pretty tired by then and woke up heading for the beach at one stage.

Archived