get me out of here

hi guys iv been a member here quite a while now and love reading people storys and comments.here wot id like to do or maybe im just simply dreaming.iv done a bit of sailing far from being an expert actully a bit of coaching would be great..i sit on youtube for hours and watch you guys sailing the world with envey..so here im am 43 years of age and realy wanting to live the dream i guess..certainly cant afford 100 grand to buy a boat yet...so heres my call to all you guys,anyone heading off for the long haul and need a good spirited chap on board happy to share cost of course...im willing and waiting il leave my job tommorow without a shadow of doubt..direct_jinxy@yahoo.co.nz

cheers

andy

hi andy, we are a couple who is getting paid out of our Christchurch house and are going to buy a liveaboard boat to sail around NZ and over to the islands and beyond! if you had 100k we would possibly match it to buy a really nice boat and go cruising the world! otherwise we will buy what we can and look for crew to help share cost. We are at this stage only window shopping but watch this space!!!

I bought my 30' cruising boat for 25k, have been working like crazy for the last 2 years to kit it out for offshore sailing and will work for yet one more year to save up a cruising fund, then take off. You really don't need 100 grand to go sailing.

You really don't need 100 grand to go sailing

God, I hope you're right BB. We've already spent the moolah to buy the boat, working on doing some stuff to prepare it as best we can for long term cruising and the plan is to sail into the sunset this summer. Just need to offload the toys and the house to free up some cash. The only difference is, we'll be doing a lap of NZ first and then heading off overseas.

I would agree that you don't need to spend a Kings ransom on a capable cruising boat ... as long as you don't expect loads of space, expensive electronics, air con, etc. There are many who vow and declare that sort of stuff just complicates your life unnecessarily and will get in the way of a cruising lifestyle.

as long as you don't expect loads of space, expensive electronics, air con, etc. There are many who vow and declare that sort of stuff just complicates your life unnecessarily and will get in the way of a cruising lifestyle.

Can't think of anyone here who would say that :wink:

While it's a great idea to go and get experience with someone else before you take off on your own, I can't help thinking it would be very difficult to cruise long term on someone else's boat. I know a week on someone else's boat leaves me dying to get back to my own boat and my own way of doing things! And then of course there are the obvious stresses of living in very close confines for extended periods with people you might not actually know that well. God knows it's hard enough for two people who love each other deeply to cope with the proximity! Or perhaps that just make it more difficult... :D

One thing I've learned over the last 2 years is that it's actually not that hard, or complicated, or expensive to take off and go cruising. Not if you don't want it to be. All you need to be is committed to the dream, otherwise you can end up feeling like you're getting nowhere. Repeatedly. Believe me, I've been there, and learned.

My advice would be to buy yourself a boat. It's a buyers market at the moment. You can buy a Reactor for example - a 25', offshore capable boat - for as little as a few grand. And check out some of the crewfinder websites to get some rides on boats going offshore. I get loads of offers through findacrew.net.

And before you ask, no, I don't use the same avatar on that site. :wink:

thanks for the advise and yes maybe i will start window shopping i now its a buyers market right now.eeeeemmm you have me thinking now..

What about a h28, go anywhere with one and they are about 20 grand or so. Maybe something in ferro. If you want to go out for a trip about the east coast give me an email.

i think id like a contessa 32 aldo there not exactly cheap,but certainly a very well tried and tested vessel,does,nt appear to be many on the market.which tells me people dont sell them.

i think id like a contessa 32 aldo there not exactly cheap,but certainly a very well tried and tested vessel,does,nt appear to be many on the market.which tells me people dont sell them.

G'day 'j..xy' There are lots of Contessa 28', 32' & 35's for sale in 'google - Contessa yachts for sale. Most of them are in the UK, for $25 to $70K NZD. There's a 35' (that's more like the size for ocean wholloping - IMHO) in Domincan Republic @ $45K NZD aprox. Do you want to buy a boat - right now/soon - or do you want to get some experience before you - bite-the-bullet, so to speak? How much sailing experience do you have? There are many people - especially in K1W1 that seem to be looking for a crew. All of 'dem-blokes' seem to think (ha) they know something & most importantly - have a great sence of humour. You can't learn much from a 'grump'. You're a bit soon for me & probably need some experience as I'm into 'quick-cruising' & some basics are a tad important, for - when at spped things happen very so fast. Possible the wrong sex for a 'yachtie-wench' (that's a bloody joke - girls, honest - but it is true). Sometime next year I'm off to do some cruising in the tropics of SE Asia if all goes to plan (which 'murphy' says it wont) most likely in 2 or 3 hulls. Live in Far North Queensland & it's to cold here for me. North of 14* it was 4* C @ 0530 but got to 24* by 1000 hrs thank goodness. Give me a PM & we'll talk if you wish. Better yet ask everyone in these forums - if they want a crew - so you can get-up some sea-miles & knowledge. Keep looking & keep your 'dream-alive' Good luck comes to those that try the hardest!! Ciao, james aka 'jj-geri-hat-trick'

hi james

i think a purchase might happen this year or early next year,iv done a bit of sailing but certainly need some good coaching,il stay local for a while get it totaly worked out before i venture out of auckland,great barrier island possibly be my first trip out of auckland.even live aboard might be a huge possibilty for me..iv got all kinds of ideas running round my head,but one thing is for sure and thats i will do something.theres a guy on youtube who sailed the world in an enginless boat,appears he did the hard yards the whole journey,not sure i could do it the way he did but well respect to the chap,i think hes half crazy myself..check his videos out on youtube type skipfreedom in the search box..

hi james

i think a purchase might happen this year or early next year,iv done a bit of sailing but certainly need some good coaching,il stay local for a while get it totaly worked out before i venture out of auckland,great barrier island possibly be my first trip out of auckland.even live aboard might be a huge possibilty for me..iv got all kinds of ideas running round my head,but one thing is for sure and thats i will do something.theres a guy on youtube who sailed the world in an enginless boat,appears he did the hard yards the whole journey,not sure i could do it the way he did but well respect to the chap,i think hes half crazy myself..check his videos out on youtube type skipfreedom in the search box..

G'day again. Go into 'google' - The Coastal Passage - boats for sale - monohulls - There are a couple of really good buys in there. Very good seaworthy comfortable easily handled cruising yachts. OH, gosh If I only wanted a monohull I'd be in my car headed south for sure. Ciao, james

There are many threads on say Cruisers forum started by those in your position. generally they draw one of two responses go small go now, and a more conservative reflection of practicalities.

Small is cheaper. Singlehanding is possible but tiring. There are advantages to at least two or three people even then you would want windvane steering. Cramped uncomfortable conditions might be ok for the young but become more so with crew. There is also the social component of having someone to share your various experiences with.

However I agree with BB on the difficulty of being confined in a small space on someone else's boat for any length of time. You might want to try a bit before going the whole hog.

The other point I would make is that the purchase price on an older boat is just the beginning. Never mind expensive electronics, even assuming the big ticket items like engine, sails and rigging are up to standard for longer term offshore use, you still have refurbishment, anchor chain, windlass, through hulls bearings etc etc. A Jordan drogue will cost around 2000 even assembling it yourself, plus liferaft, offshore flares ssb etc.

I don't think some of the prices quoted are accurate. The Contessa 35 in the Dominican Republic is 54K NZ. The price range of a Contessa 32 in the UK is around 30-70k pounds roughly 60-140k NZD plus tax of 22.5% on all the prices cited.

There are 3 Contessa 32 s in NZ all sailed here. One in West Auckland. One at Pine Harbour , and one import in Tauranga currently for sale at 66k plus 22.5% tax. http://www.tradeaboat.co.nz/View/Used/C ... =0&Ntk=All

There are alternatives in NZ boats but you get what you pay for, and the final cost of bringing it up to standard is what counts. Then the extra cost of a bit of extra length to lessen the discomfort but not eliminate it may be less significant. Sure you might do it over a period but even the costs of a slip etc are high and would pretty well pay for a couple of weeks charter anywhere, more so if shared.

You don't necessarily have to go offshore immediately in your own boat and local cruising is somewhat cheaper and with experience delivery crew positions are available.

thank unpc thats some excellent advise you have given there,and advise from you old hands at this is always great advise..there was a white contessa on trade me not so long ago cat 1 standard,last i seen of it was waiehki island,but was orignaly in tauranga..from memory it was 77 grand.which i thought was certainly not over prices,i think it had came from denmark from memory..i seeing myself early next year make a purchase of around the price stated on the contessa 32.one thing i promise tho,is once i hit the water i may never be seen in new zealand again..im yearning to go,i think about it everyday whist at work..total freedom wot a dream hay

That is probably the same boat. The plus tax is the small print.

Seriously we all have our fantasies. Dunno who I could name without dating me. Nah not Audrey Hepburn, but the bird on castle ain't bad. Ain't gonna happen.

Not seeing NZ again hmm? Hope not mate.

If your life sucks I dunno, but maybe instead of hoping to win lotto, you fix what you can and get what you can.

If some stuff like divorce has caused you to hit a low - well it passes. If you are hitting the turps - well short term feels better but longer term who are you going to fool?

Sorry maybe talk to a counsellor, find a good not gorgeous partner, sail on other people's boats, get a new job, retrain, see your gp etc.

Just my impression, I may be wrong, and some eg squid seem to have done well but life ain't quite about kissing our butts and giving us what we want.

haha na im just fine im actully a happy soul,im 43 divorced and have an excellent job in in the oil industry.but as i get older i realise life isnt all about work,i work to live not lve to work thankfully.i came to nz 7 years ago on a 3 month visters visa and look im still here im a total free spirit kinda bloke,il go were life takes me.so far its been a buzz.and its isnt over just yet i hope.and iv done my far share of travel over the years,im 3 quarters irish so suppose iv got the travellers irish bloody...not that my irish family are gpyses lol..but as for me i just love travel...and water is going be my pathway to my next journey in life...as for lotto well like everybody else i chase the dream and hope oneday i might get a break..funny thing is tho i think i will get a break..i real make a point of buying that ticket every week sometimes two...but never spend more than 100 bucks a week on it,iv set a limit..which my sound a bit extreme i guess but im single earn good money and why not hay..il probily died wondering wot if.but whist i can breath il continue to chase the dream..i often wonder if i will ever grow up lol..and then think bloody hell i hope not...

hey hey, good attitude! ive sort of come to the same conclusion. now i need a bigger boat. my current trailer yacht cost me 5k and we have had it in some awesome spots such as the Marlborough sounds, Akaroa, Lyttleton, Tauranga. We have had schools of dolphins jumping around it and huge rays within touching distance. Some of the best experiences of my life. This yacht has really opened my eyes to the possibilities of world cruising, although i am struggling to not get sucked into a career that would tie me down for the next few years.....so the plan is to buy the boat, avoid the job and try and get as much experience as possible in the mean time whilst studying for my coastal skippers coarse......surely working 50 hours a weeks for the best years of your life is a waste of a life.....'career avoidance expert' sounds good to me! funding it will be the problem, so i plan to spend everything we have on a boat thus avoiding a mortgage, and hopefully finding crew who will help pay the cruising expenses or want to go in on a yacht share.......

hi rob

im open to all possibiltys,as for work rob your right its a mugs game..making another man rich drives me nuts,but then i stop and think well hes the clever sod not me..ow well we live and learn,well me personaly i live but dont seem to learn..however its all well and good being wealthy and have 20 staff to deal with and all the rest of the crap in buissness,i think id rather take my wages and walk away everyday and leave the problems to mr wealthy.

i used to have 20 staff but im certainly not mr rich...where did i go wrong! i think youll find that most mr rich's work more hours than the rest of us! maybe the best solution is to be places where there is nothing to spend it on and learn as much as possible about boat building!

Archived