AC 72 Design

It feels a bit like that. Undoubtedly exciting new technology and developments (and I was one of the voices that said yes they should push the boundaries and move away from boring, slow monohulls etc) but now it's happening it is just so radically different from sailing as I know it, that I struggle to relate to it.

But no doubt I'll continue to watch developments with interest including the first races - so in that regard it is a successful move if your measure is website visitor stats, FB 'likes' and TV viewers etc.

This edition of the cup is cool. Everyone is talking about it and it's pushing the engineering development a lot harder than in the old days. It's interesting and you can see obvious differences between boats. It's become more like the F1 of yachting, which the old AC boats could never come close to calling themselves. But like F1, this edition of the cup is going to be super expensive.....

It's become more like the F1 of yachting, which the old AC boats could never come close to calling themselves.
No it won't. F1 went down the remote control engineer run races route a few seasons back and the viewers turned off as it went 'all about speed at the expense of a balance including tactics'. They changed the game back to slowing the cars a little and having the drivers rather than off the track people make all the calls, the viewers are coming back. The F1 analogy is well out of date and just wrong. Indycars is a more appropriate example. They are very heavily engineer driven performance orientated and all the drivers have to do is keep the cars going around and around that oval. Sure that does have more than it's share of moments but tactically it's hardly F1, Bathhurst 1000 or most previous versions of the AC.

It all depends on where you have the slider set on the Speed verses Tactical scale. Some have it set on speed is the be all to end all, some on tactics as the be all. Personally I've found 99% of yacht racing is generally somewhere in the middle. It remains to be seen where the next AC will sit but I'm thinking large foiling Cats on a short course would tend to mean it'll be more at one extreme than a balance.

And it's knot like pushing AC engineering boundaries is anything new. You see anything of the 1995, 1988 or the last versions.

the short low aspect sail must be to keep the center of effort low so as not to push the righting moment too high ? (my trifoilers sails are short for that reason....)

What's with the short hoist low aspect headsail ? I'm interested in the design theory here.

The headsail is drag and the boat is faster without it. They need a headsail for tacking and manoverability

I guess they made it as small as they can to reduce drag

What's with the short hoist low aspect headsail ? I'm interested in the design theory here.

The headsail is drag and the boat is faster without it. They need a headsail for tacking and manoverability

I guess they made it as small as they can to reduce drag

And for balance like any yacht that sails in a breeze with just a mainsail... you just load up weather helm have heeps of height, but lower forward speed.

I think the only thing they learnt is that their boats a piece of sh*t :lol:

come on Royal 780... don,t be so harsh on ETNZ. Their weight issues may pay dividends. :lol:

I thought their "close to the envelope" foils broke Not the boat. :crazy:

I think the only thing they learnt is that their boats a piece of sh*t :lol:

come on Royal 780... don,t be so harsh on ETNZ. Their weight issues may pay dividends. :lol:

I thought their "close to the envelope" foils broke Not the boat. :crazy:

Foils aren't their only issues. That thing bends like a banana.

Have you seen the latest AC uncovered video?

http://www.sail-world.com/NZ/Americas-C ... eak/102053

Shows OR snapping their foil and floating away... Their foil looked so light it wasn't funny.

If you do want to watch this and you specifically want to see the foils breaking part and not sit through 25 minutes of propaganda and magazine show style repetative clips... the relvant part is in the last 2 minutes of the 25 minute wank fest...

Have you seen the latest AC uncovered video?

http://www.sail-world.com/NZ/Americas-C ... eak/102053

Shows OR snapping their foil and floating away... Their foil looked so light it wasn't funny.

If you do want to watch this and you specifically want to see the foils breaking part and not sit through 25 minutes of propaganda and magazine show style repetative clips... the relvant part is in the last 2 minutes of the 25 minute wank fest...

Cheers kiwi bardy - What was up with the 1/2 hour interview with the courier driver???

I have looked at some of the Oracle photos on their FB page today, there seems to be a lot of twist in their platform.

When flying a hull the windward hull appears very nose down.

Design fault or intentional?

Archived