Photo

Putting a competitive Paper Tiger together.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 madyottie

madyottie

Strike 3. Woods Strike 18 Trimaran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • LocationDeepest Darkest Waikato

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

I'm guilty of not updating a sailing club website, probably one you checked.

Clarks beach have several cats but from memory they were mostly surf style. I don't recall them being overly competitive either, but that may have changed.

Going back a few years here's what I can recall about pt setup...

Alcan mast section from the assn seemed to be preferred, and quite well priced. The section has to be sealed, including the rivets.

As above, skinny boards at the back if the cases, fill the front ends.

Elliptical rudder blades were preferred over rectangular ones.

Back then the main and traveller came from aft on most boats. Twin tiller extension allowed you to keep the weight forward in the tacks.

Keep it light, you only have 100 feet of sail to keep you moving

3mm ply is no match for 110kg size 11 boots! Anyone know how to fix my foredeck?

#12 SloopJohnB

SloopJohnB

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,152 posts
  • LocationPatumahoe

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

The current masts are a JT section out of Wellington thru the association, a with a carbon fibre internal sleeve.

The last sleeve I got was from Kilwell in Rotorua, called in and selected the tube i wanted, they reduced the od and put a layer of fibreglass on it to eliminate the fuzzing between the ali & carbon.

As madyottie said they need to be airtight.

"With age comes wisdom .... and with wisdom comes the knowing when to avoid perfection!"

#13 morspeed

morspeed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationPukeoware

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

I just found that when trawling for info on the interweb first stop was Yacht clubs involved in Dinghy sailing and most sites were really badly maintained, even the Australian sites, hit a link and there's a dead url, hit another link and the gallery is empty, hit a link on tuning a PT and you find an article written in 1980  etc..... The NZ PT Org site is the best I found but even that was not a friendly site to navigate, I am sure these are all maintained by volunteers and I know how hard it can be to find time to update sites so am not trying to give the clubs a hard time.

Most sites have very good home pages, just whats in behind them is lacklustre. Its a shame as if you were a newbie wanting to find out about local clubs and wanting to get into sailing then the sites lack a kind of wow factor that would make a young fella go, "awesome I want to be in amongst that, looks way more fun than my playstation"..but this is really a subject for another thread.

So about the masts, if I track one down second hand how do I know if I am buying a modern  JT section?, I cannot find any section info on the Pt org site.

SloopJohn..the purpose of the carbon sleeve is to reduce mast breakage or is it to stiffen mast so you can run a flatter main?, more power, improved pointing in stronger winds? 

Throughout my life I have spent most of my money on beer, boats and women, the rest I wasted.

#14 SloopJohnB

SloopJohnB

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,152 posts
  • LocationPatumahoe

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:25 AM

Ali sleeves are still used but carbon sleeves are lighter.

The sleeves are used for reducing the possibility of breaking the mast above the gooseneck in heavy air gybing, also reducing the bending between the gooseneck and the hounds, and still allowing the top section to fall off. 

"With age comes wisdom .... and with wisdom comes the knowing when to avoid perfection!"

#15 morspeed

morspeed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationPukeoware

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:42 AM

Thanks Sloopjohn, 

Guy on trade me has a couple of PT masts, one has external sail track and other is tear drop shape with internal sail slide, is the tear drop one likely to be a current mast section like the PT association sells?

Throughout my life I have spent most of my money on beer, boats and women, the rest I wasted.

#16 madyottie

madyottie

Strike 3. Woods Strike 18 Trimaran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • LocationDeepest Darkest Waikato

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:16 PM

I know it's very short notice, but Waiuku Yacht Club is hosting the Manukau Shield regatta tomorrow Sunday 28th.    There should be a few cbyc boats in attendance. Start time 11:55am. Could be a chance to check out whats around.

I'll likely be scaring the rats away and wiping the spiders out of the old Laser. 

Could be interesting after 18 months off the boat and piling on far too many kilos.

3mm ply is no match for 110kg size 11 boots! Anyone know how to fix my foredeck?

#17 morspeed

morspeed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationPukeoware

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:59 PM

Cheers for that, just got the heads up on that event yesterday.

Tomorrows plans are up early for Day 1 of Elimination series then a 15 minute drive to Sandspit road.

Was going show up around 10.30 and take a look see.Looking forward it!!.

Cheers

#18 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:26 PM

if anyone is looking from the PT hulls

there are some on the northshore for free

it's not me

it's the shiraz saying sh!t

0 user(s) are reading this topic