Ais transponders

i have one of those got it from Chinese site for around 350 looks good and works here at home showing boats in port etc , easy to set up just connect an aerial and 12v power. You need to get an mmsi? number to get the transmit function working . reviews seem pretty good and very affordable wouldn,t go offshore without one now, particularly if solo or short handed.

Nope. Make sure that the one you choose has FCC or CE certification, if not they are not legal to use here or in most western countries. 

The certification is expensive, and therefore the certified ones are usually more expensive. Matsutec have one model with certification.

You most likely would not get caught. But consider this;

There are rules and standards with ais transmission that set out how a unit should listen to the required frequencies and then transmit - if its blocked by another transmission, when it should try again etc. This is basically time division multiplexing. A unit that did not comply could theoretically block AIS access to EVERYONE withing range of that unit. 

One of the best AIS units in the world is made here in NZ - the Vesper marine unit. But its not a budget one - it does NMEA 0183, NMEA2000, USB, and wifi. 

If you intend to use your existing VHF antenna, you need an antenna splitter - only the powered units are any good, again, vesper is great, Navico is ok as well. A separate antenna is cheaper.

Consider the connection type you intend to use - is it NMEA 0183 or NMEA2000 (or a version of, like seatalk NG, or Simnet etc) If its NMEA0183, your next plotter is unlikely to be the same, as most are now nmea2000. That could be an issue in the future.

Cheapest is not always best....

DO you want the AIS data on the tablet, or are you happy a standalone unit? If you want the data on the tablet, you need wifi. Id by a vesper...

Can also do a totally cool readout on your android Wear 2.0 watch. I want. But first. Has anyone done this? Additionally, I'd like to have a radar overlay on the AIS readout on my android smart watch. any one with info? IT I'm so glad you posted the name Vesper. For the last year I've been frantically tying to remember who it was in NZ who made marine electronics. 

I think I'll have to introduce this to Structures in Brittany. Might be nice if they start using this instead of whatever they're using now... it seems ot fit with their interface to everything ethos.

I have a vesper.  They work well, especially the networking ability.  You can use the wifi to network all your instrumentation through it which is pretty cool.  In my case all instruments via NMEA2000 then out via wifi to ipad.  Works well, 

Remember you don't need to have the tablet if you don't want to, i.e. it still works if not connected.  You need something to set it up but the external alarm I have connected to it is pretty loud in the event i'm on a collision course with another boat.  

The only bitch I have with it is that if the ipad turns off, then it takes some time to reconnect. 

It works well with my Wear 2.0 also.  

The anchor function is also good, means you don't need to leave the chart plotter running at night, just remember to install an off switch for the alarm otherwise you will be looking for your I device in the dark to connect and turn the alarm off.  

We also have a couple of the MOB things connected for the on watch crew, so far not tested thank goodness.