6 replies to this topic

#1 chariot

chariot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

Why are club fleet sizes continuing to fall. Is this because the older boats can't be bothered because they are so far behind the more modern boats. What are clubs doing to encourage the older smaller cruising boats to get out and get involved. 30ft and under just don't seem to be out there any more. I am as guilty as anyone, it's no fun when everyone does a horizon job on the few small boats in the fleet. 

No effort is being  made to try and increase the small boat fleets. There are heaps of 70s and 80s boats just sitting there never being involved in any club activities.  They don't even belong to a club because the clubs offer them nothing. Maybe all these clubs that have falling memberships should be a little more proactive in their quest for new membership.

#2 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:26 PM

Weiti & Gulf Harbour fleets seem to be growing if anything.

Good racing in well organised races, in good water, no ditches to reach up, and reasonable (although not perfect) handicapping system.

#3 Rawhide

Rawhide

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:27 PM

Pine harbour is mainly the same,  we have a couple of under 30ft boats and a fleet that is slowly growing, I think it helps that we have nice water to sail in that allows real courses and not much traffic

Yosemite, Mr Kamikaze, Faster Coyote, A.W.O.L, Faster Coyote, and then Rawhide

#4 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,178 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

Fish, are you sailing in the Gulf Harbour /Weiti series? Which boat? I'm on Enigma 1... Evening series starting soon :-)

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#5 Frickie

Frickie

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationAuckland NZ

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:52 AM

A quick look at the RYC online entries for the Wed Night series starting tonight (will be more paper based entries and casual entries) shows

25 x boats over 31 feet.

24 x boats under 31 feet.

and a good forecast (so come sailing....)

Boat boats boats...

#6 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

Fish, are you sailing in the Gulf Harbour /Weiti series? Which boat? I'm on Enigma 1... Evening series starting soon :-)

We've been stooging around Gold fleet on Charlatan, nothing too serious but enjoying some good sailing.

Wont do the Twilight series, work commitments cause too many logistical issues, but am looking at the Barfoot & Thompson 2 handed series.

I thought the Winter Series was well run with good courses. A start boat and a different mark laying boat helped.

25 boats across two fleets, gave a good opportunity for well matched racing.

#7 Changed

Changed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationNorth Shore

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:45 PM

Single handed racing starts with Richmond this weekend. Only two boats over 30'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users