14 replies to this topic

#11 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:44 AM

I am after a replacement AP22 control head if anyone has one?

#12 ballystick

ballystick

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

Update on repair, I tidied up the wiring, remounted the rudder angle sensor to reduce the variation of angle lock to lock - less Ackermann effect, then remounted one end to stop contact with the steering arm, secured with 3 screws (only 2 and loose before) Re-calibrated the zero and reset the max angles and probably the important crucial part that was mentioned previously - topped up the oil supply. Tested it today and perfect! 

We cannot direct the wind but we CAN adjust our sails

#13 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:25 PM

nice work,  i think the oil on my linear drive needs topping as well,   I have given up on the old control heads and now have a second hand ST6001 head and S3 computer with raymarine angle and flux to install over xmas....

got the lot for way less then they wanted for an ap22 on ebay,,,,

#14 ballystick

ballystick

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:39 PM

Good luck with the reinstall, topping up the oil level is not straight forward as it had to be done with a syringe in a place the was suitable for midgets. The number of options and variables in these types of systems make them difficult to get a clear idea on setting up and then diagnosing faults. Quite often a more simple affair is the best solution.

We cannot direct the wind but we CAN adjust our sails

#15 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:34 PM

my quadrant needs a sand blast and repaint, I was going to take apart and remove the linear drive , sort out out,  then reinstall quadrant , it looks worse then it is....   but still needs doing..   once thats out be easy to get at the linear drive...   also my old computer was installed above engine nuts...    going to install new one in the rear quarter berth with all wiring running direct to that point for access at sea.     Got a St4000 wheel pilot of trademe as a backup, going to install that first while I plan the main install....  will be fine around the gulf.

main drive is the Simrad HDL2000 its fine in a bigger sea but errors on small movements, could be the rudder thing but as have no heads anymore may just find the drive is fine as is.  Hasn't seen any love for 10 years

where my drive attaches to the quadrant is very mickey mouse as well,  going to weld on a stainless thing (currently nut job) which the linear attaches to....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users