27 replies to this topic

#11 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

If you have a Spark plan with mobile data already then you can get a Spark MF910 hotspot, about $140, and pay $5.85/month to share your data with it.

It'll take an external aerial input also, but as IT points out, you need cellular coverage.

Vodafone may have a similar product/plan?

If you need sat coverage then there is no cheap option, Iridium probably the best way there still.

When I die make sure my wife doesn't sell Bad Kitty for what I told her it cost!

#12 Chloe

Chloe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationWaikato

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:31 PM

If you have a Spark plan with mobile data already then you can get a Spark MF910 hotspot, about $140, and pay $5.85/month to share your data with it.

It'll take an external aerial input also, but as IT points out, you need cellular coverage.

Vodafone may have a similar product/plan?

If you need sat coverage then there is no cheap option, Iridium probably the best way there still.

I'm with 2degrees cost of dongle was $100 with 2.5 g of data NO extra cost as it is linked to my phone and user's my phone plan data. i use a dumb phone DORO so my data is only used on laptop.

Never run out in fact am increasing at an alarming rate.

Might have to watch more movies. ;-)

Edited by Chloe, 05 December 2017 - 06:32 PM.

#13 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ/Belo Horizonte Brasil

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:29 AM

I have a Samsung phone on a 2 deg Plan with a heap of accumulated mobile data. Is there someway I can connect an aerial to it, maybe via a router, to improve reception? Something similar to BK's advice re Spark

#14 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:08 AM

These Guys may be suitable. http://cellutronics....ntenna_Kits.php

For cheap liveaboard data skinny broadband is pretty damn good $52 for 100gb uses 4g mobile network.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#15 bazzathemammoth

bazzathemammoth

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

I think skinny locks you to a tower. Try taking it elsewhere and the charges change

#16 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:41 PM

The spark my920 sounds interesting tell more I am trying to do this with out a phone to connect to Is that possible, my phone is 25 years old same plan all that time with telecom , maby I have to change , ,,,,

#17 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:51 PM

I think skinny locks you to a tower. Try taking it elsewhere and the charges change

No the charges don't change you just have to update your location via the web interface. First time I did it I rang them but after that online, no issues.

If you did it all the time it might be an issue hence why I suggested it for Liveaboards.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#18 southernman

southernman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Locationnelson

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:18 AM

Just tether or get a second sim card on your plan to chuck in your ipad.  We do both, data costs are dropping all the time, and coverage around the Gulf is pretty good.  You can also get an unlimited data plan on your phone now.  Not sure but I think if you take that sim and chuck it in your ipad you have a pretty good solution.  Means you can do most stuff remotely inc. watching Netflix with no worries about data.  I have this plan on my phone will take the sim out and throw it in the Ipad and see if it works.  

#19 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:20 AM

My experience of Spark coverage at Great Barrier is that its worse than useless.  Worse because its so frustrating.

Why a company like that would just hold up its hands and say 'take it Vodafone' is beyond me.

#20 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:48 AM

Yep coverage in the Fitzroy area has been bad for years especially when it gets busy, there isn't enough capacity. There doesn't seem to be any appetite to fix it.

Tryphena is good as you can connect to the mainland towers.

Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users