#21 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:16 PM

Yeah the only way all those 'wealthy boaties,' company directors, professionals (etc including small business owners like me ) with Spark plans they pay for year in year out on multiple devices and landlines and internet connections , can get coverage at Barrier on the annual holiday is to borrow a kids vodafone phone.

Really clever bit of demographic profiling there Spark. You saved some money by giving it up to Vodafone , and you pissed off the people who pay the bills.

Same happened in the Pacific actually, guys like me on Spark  had offers of twenty buck per week  roaming in Tonga and fiji. Took it up after getting the ' welcome to Tonga/ Fiji' text and it only worked a third of the time. 

Vodafone 5 buck roaming worked most of the time.

Note to self : don't take Spark to Barrier , don't take Spark to Fiji. Waste of time.

#22 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:02 PM

Vodafone roaming is $5 per day. Not per week.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#23 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

Is it.. my bad then.
People who had it were happy because it worked.

#24 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:33 PM

2 degrees which I believe piggy back off the Vodaphone network is fake phone even in the Gulf.
Had to go cold turkey and stop buying stuff on Trademe whilst tucked up in my bunk.
Been clean for six months now and taking it day by day.
Gone back to old school looking at the sky checking barometric pressure with my tongue and wind strength and direction with my middle finger.
Boat speed and depth died and the thing that I missed the most was lack of sea temperature info.
No longer need to plaster my little princess with a galaxy of solar panels and infernally humming and whistling power generating devices.
If I need to communicate with someone I just row over and chat.
The world goes on in my absence my spawn feed and clothe themselves so happy days.

#25 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:37 AM

We bought new SIM cards in Fiji. Cheap as chips and worked great.same in Sri Lanka. I hear Indonesia is even better.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#26 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:27 AM

I take my phone aboard and turn it off.

The only screen we have and use is the one on the fridge saying what temp it is.

Bliss.

Oh, bugger, just realised I've fitted 6 screens to her. One switch and they all go away...no 7 screens.... I'm leaving now before I find an 8th....bugger!!!!!

#27 tuffyluffy

tuffyluffy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:00 AM

51uw7fx7qZL._SY894_.jpg

One of these in a bucket hoisted up the mast will give you mobile wifi in surprisingly remote places. 

#28 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:15 AM

We bought new SIM cards in Fiji. Cheap as chips and worked great.same in Sri Lanka. I hear Indonesia is even better.

Thats what we should have done. Got put off in Tonga when every single person we knew had trouble getting it set up, with extra trips in to the shop to get settings altered.

In retrospect  I think the vodafone users we knew would selectively turn on for day at a time  to get connected back to life in sunny En Zed. So they would pay their $5 for a days connection when in range.

What pissed me off was getting the Spark welcome to Tonga /Fiji text , accepting its invitation to sign up for a week for $20 ,and then getting no service.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users