http://legacy.rotaxo...-912-016-r4.pdf

#12 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:47 AM

Ah ha, seems not all 10W-40's are the same.

Also talk of temperature control, which is important in engines used in light aircraft at certain times in flight.

An interesting read....even with no centrefold ;)

#13 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:56 PM

Oil accounts for 40% of the engine cooling in an ordinary car engine. For an air cooled aircraft engine, that could be substantially more. And these are dry sump engines remember. The main difference between the Rotax and the Lycoming  is that the Rotax fluid cools there engine heads, but the Cylinder itself has radial cooling fins.
The other possible is that because the Rotax is an engine specifically made for Home built light aircraft/microlights etc, the fuel used can be ordinary Car type petrol. So the engine will be designed to take a far wider range of Octane rating. Avgas being 100 of course. Overseas, there is another Aviation fuel that can be used in these engines, and I am not completely sure, but I suspect it is a Methanol based fuel. These Fuels cause the engine to run and very different temperatures and so the Oils asked for would need to meet the various Fuel types.

#14 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:31 PM

Got some Penrite full synthetic 5w 30 oil which should be more than adequate for my little Honda and Yamaha outboards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users