#1 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:14 PM

Can anyone advise on a superlative masking tape please? I've tried most of the selection available at Bumblings and they are all not so flash if you want a perfect result. I'm talking about a paint to varnish line that will stand very close inspection, millimetre by millimetre. Most tapes are not bad but will give a tiny bit of under cutting that then needs to be cleaned up with a craft knife and with a magnifier fitted on your specs.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#2 SloopJohnB

SloopJohnB

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,523 posts
  • LocationPatumahoe

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:30 PM

Have you tried insulation tape?

"With age comes wisdom .... and with wisdom comes the knowing when to avoid perfection!"

#3 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:10 AM

Bear blue  plastic, pull straight away.

Test first with your paints.

SJB's  signature,  :thumbup:

#4 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:30 AM

Green or blue and to reduce the stickiness(depending on length) pull across your pants first,still sticks but not as severe.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#5 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:53 AM

Thank you. I will the suggestions on a test piece first. One of the difficulties is the paint/varnish I'm doing is that they are a one-shot deal. Mess it up and it's very difficult to correct.
Young at heart.

#6 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:04 PM

Use 3M only, there are several types that may suit, the purple low tack I like but there are several fineline pvc types but they are very fiddly. Double taping helps give a good edge too. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#7 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:05 PM

Use 3M only, there are several types that may suit, the purple low tack I like but there are several fineline pvc types but they are very fiddly. Double taping helps give a good edge too.

I like the sound of the fineline pvc type. I'm only trying to mask off paint to varnish lines a few centimetres long so the fiddly aspect shouldn't present a problem.
Young at heart.

#8 VERGE

VERGE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:34 PM

Go to an automotive refinishing place and get the yellow tape (Japanese i think) it has a very low profile  and is great for masking where you dont want to see a thick line where the paint types change.

Perfect match paints used to stock it.

Have you tried Wairau paints?

Not sure where you would get it outside of Auckland sorry

#9 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,789 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:27 PM

Verge is spot on. You need an Automotive Refinishers Tape. The normal masking tapes from Bunnings etc are for house paints. Automotive/ Marine finishing coatings are thin and need special tapes with sharp edges and ultra thin in thickness.
Try these guys.
http://tapespec.co.n...ng Systems.html

#10 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for the good advice - one can always rely on you chaps to come up with answers.
So what I'm trying to achieve is a razor Sharp line between the black paint replicating the canopy and the varnish on the rest of the aircraft. Both are sprayed finishes.Attached File  20191022_214410.jpg   337.22KB   15 downloads
I thought I might manage to sell a couple of these models - I didn't count on an order of 50 so I need to get my production and finishes sorted.
Young at heart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users