2013 Simrad

First line of thread:

"This is an all out attempt to get the most Multi's ever into the event."

Was trying to address that. Yes SSANZ have their own agenda - RNI etc and all power to them, BUT that is kind of irrelevant to the multihull fleet (and most of the other competitors). I'd kind of like to enter a series where

1. I think realistically I can actually complete the series and 2. there will be some other similar boats to race against.

I agree, I would like to enter and would have had it been in relativly more sheltered waters. I don't want to risk loosong my boat. I'll race on someone elses though! :-)

Mind you... The SSANZ is all about two tough people willing to face some tough conditions.

Laying a hull for 3 days is a reality for RNI.

The SSANZ Triple does need to be tough to prep people for this. The stories that come out of these events build men.

I think the person posting "This is an all out attempt to get the most Multi's ever into the event." maybe forgot that point.

SSANZ is not a race around the cans. The boats and the crew need to be able to stand 30+ knots wind against tide while going round CI.

I was being selfish as I would have liked to race. I was wrong. Think I may have to find a monohull to do it in.

Of course we are just assuming the RNI agenda - the actual promotion doc doesn't mention it and hasn't mentioned it for a few years now. Every year there is a general discussion (started earlier this year) about "what the f*ck is this series actually about" - maybe that just adds to the Simrad mystique. Saanz says it aims to promote short handed sailing and for the Simrad it says:

"Want to challenge yourself ? Join in on New Zealand's biggest Two Handed Series. With 3 races spaced approximately one month apart and courses to cater for all sizes of keelboat (and multihulls) SSANZ has come up with a successful formula that just gets better every year. The SIMRAD Two Handed Triple Series is a must do event. So Download the Notice of Race, Enter online, organise a crew and come join the fun !

It's the 21st Anniversary of the Triple Series so make sure your a part of the fun!"

The main word used is "fun" :shock:

I am planning on entering the series assuming boat is back in water (should be)

Im really excited about doing the Simrad, I have always done it on other peoples boats as I felt Capricorn was a little small for those races, and one of the reasons I built a larger Tri was to do longer races, Coastal, Simarad, and White Island.

Stealth Mission has CAT 3 and the expense and difficulty getting it makes doing the Simrad good value, if that makes sense...

I have mixed feelings about the long race. While I would prefer a shorter course it is a good practice run for the White Island Race. I will only go if the weather looks ok. (my general rule of thumb for any racing is I wont go if I will likely see over 30 knots for sustained periods)

The biggest issue with night sailing will be the lack of instruments and the sea state. A bit of moonlight and not too much cloud will help a lot. Tiredness is also a major issue to deal with as I learnt the year we flipped Lucifer in the Coastal. Eating and Drinking helps with this a lot and isnt easy when pushing hard for hours on end in a small multihull.

At the end of the day you can always back off a bit and nurse the boat home if it gets to hairy, as long as the sea state isnt too bad.

My goal for the Simrad Series is to stretch the legs on the boat and build my confidence in a wider range of conditions than we see on a typical club race. I really hope we get a decent fleet of Multihulls out there!

Greg off Teaping made some proposals to SSANZ and changes are underway.

1. The Mulithulls start at the normal time as per the sailing instructions

2. The Mulithull fleet will do the "Shorthaul" course nominated on the day for race 2.

3. The multihull club will make their own arrangements for the finishing times.

4. All races will now be subject Cat 4 for the multihulls.

SI's to be updated this week I hear.

Tigre is in!

Possible then...

Borderline

Tigre

Freedom

Attitude

Stealth

Whio

Hurts - If the New Improved Mk2 is ready!

Hooters?

Deeds?

Voom - Not this year

Mama Tired - Pete's doing the AC

Lucifer - Laurie is racing overseas

OP?

What's happening with Hurts

Dean went for moving the case for a higher aspect dagger?

Yep new board will be a tiny bit longer. If I get a new version number every time I change my daggerboard regime it would be hurts V3 by now...

Yep new board will be a tiny bit longer. If I get a new version number every time I change my daggerboard regime it would be hurts V3 by now...

yes, i guess that's;

version 1 - 2 float dagger boards only

version 2 - standard farrier dagger and no float daggers

version 3 - longer than standard farrier dagger

have you tilted the case so it comes up forward of the mast or, as you are on a mooring, are you in a version 2.5 stage at the moment with the longer dagger currently unable to fully retract for trailering?

enough sailing yet to know if you can now point as high as stealth or mammatri?

yes, i guess that's;

version 1 - 2 float dagger boards only

version 2 - standard farrier dagger and no float daggers

version 3 - longer than standard farrier dagger

have you tilted the case so it comes up forward of the mast or, as you are on a mooring, are you in a version 2.5 stage at the moment with the longer dagger currently unable to fully retract for trailering?

enough sailing yet to know if you can now point as high as stealth or mammatri?

V3 not installed yet - I'll know after the Simrad if we can live with the big boys upwind.

Almost certain HLH will be there - Last few days of clear weather has allowed me to do the external painting jobs so it should all be downhill from here - hopefully.

Whose coming out to play?

I think most are waiting to see the amendment to the sailing instruction for race two to the short length of the course before entering. The wording on the amendment has been agreed to and should be up on the site shortly.

So you can enter confident that around the Barrier is not happening.

I am expecting 10 of you who said you would enter if I could get this alteration agreed to, so get on and enter now.

Cheers

Greg

Archived