Oddball front hatch size???

Chris B

I've got a weaver hatch that has had some unsuccessful repairs- I'm guessing because the actual fix was neither easy or cheap. The latches leak but the main problem is the alloy is cracked near one of the hinges. Problem is it looks like the cutout size is not common if not, not available. My cutout is 470mm x 500mm.

This must be a common problem, what have people done?

Cheers in advance!

Latches are an easy fix - they are just O rings. Any auto parts place should have them. Cheap as. Frame can be welded, but you have to take it out!

Let me know if you need more info re the latches, getting them off the first time is sometimes a bit of a mystery.

Gebo hatches don't leak even when they are old apart from the latches which also use o rings which are easily replaced. Usually though the leak is easily cured by adjusting the screw tensioning the o ring.

All our main hatches are Gebo and they are very well engineered.

We also have four small rectangular hatches in the cockpit which are Weaver and I wish we had bought Gebo for those also.

Yep, I changed the o ring in the middle of the storm last week (that or a wet bunk and I hate wet bunks). A bit of head scratching to get it apart, but I found a spare in a box, took that apart, then attacked the one that was leaking. 2 minute job once you know how.

This is from the clue hatches website. It seems to support what you say IT.

In 2002 the business was sold. Clive continued to oversee the hatch business on behalf of the new owners. However after becoming frustrated with what he saw as a lack of direction and commitment to ongoing development and customer service, he left in 2007. After repeated approaches from local and offshore boatbuilders wanting a better quality hatch, more versatility in approach and direct contact with the manufacturer, Clive and Miriam Brown started Culē. Miriam, Clive’s wife, is the Administration Manager.

Now that you mention that Farrari, I do recall reading that somewhere.

In that case, I'd really recommend Culē to anyone looking for a hatch - here is why (remember, the people running Maxwell at this time are the same ones running Culē now).

Back in 2000, when I bought Island Time, ALL the portlights, and the fwd hatch leaked. There are 14 opening portlights! The portlights are Maxwell. The Fwd hatch was a brand I've forgotten.

Anyway, I phoned Maxwell, to ask about seals/replacements (thinking I may just have to ditch Maxwell and replace everything). I got excellent, knowledgeable service. The conversation went something like;

"What shape are the existing seals on the outside edge"

"Kind of round"

"OK, the round seals are not durable, and have been replaced with triangular ones, which are a significant improvement"

The outcome was, despite all the portlights being 12 years old at the time and therefore WAY out of warranty, they sent me a complete new set of seals for all the 14 portlights, including shipping FOR FREE! Because of this I bought a replacement front hatch from them as well.

14 years later, the portlights are still watertight, provided the seal surfaces etc are kept clean. I have replaced a few of the O rings, as they wear with use. The Fwd hatch was good, for the first 11 odd years, but after having the seal damaged by a sheet, then replacing the damaged seal with one provided by Maxwell, it now leaks. The seal material provided does not smoothly bend around the corners of the hatch, but kinks. I think it is inferior rubber to the original. This seal was changed 3 years ago. Maxwell were not interested in my problem, despite several emails and a ph call in which they promised someone would call back - they never did. It still drips if I get waves over the foredeck - on my list to sort out.

Quite a contrast in service!!

Archived