how (and where to) lift Perkins 4108 out of boat

Hi

My 4108 is leaking oil from big end beerings, needs repaint TLC etc, I can have space to bring it out companionway if I take the gearbox off, drain oil etc etc

who has a hydraulic hoist to lift it out with (it has lifting points etc.. onto a trailor and back home for work....

thanks Peter

I pulled out the Perkins 4107 from my 42' yacht using the mainboom and mainsheet system and swung it over the side onto the wharf and then reversed the process to put it back in again. The boom was set up at a height to clear the cabin with the engine raised, and was supported by the spinnaker halliards. This was many years ago and when the 4107 was replaced by a Yanmar 8yrs ago, the Hiab hoist did the job very quickly and easily, and I suspect with less risk.

I pulled out the Perkins 4107 from my 42' yacht using the mainboom and mainsheet system and swung it over the side onto the wharf and then reversed the process to put it back in again. The boom was set up at a height to clear the cabin with the engine raised, and was supported by the spinnaker halliards.

Exactly what we did last week getting a Volvo 2030 back into my boat after a rebuild

Small technical point, big ends are designed to leak, main bearing seals are not.

Lifting from the boom is the go, just make sure that the topping lift, (if that is what you are using to support the boom) is moved close to the lifting point. This gives an almost direct line for the strain of the lift, rather than risk bending the boom if it is left at the aft end.

I've now done 4 this way

Here are a few tricks I've learnt

Support the middle of the boom with the main halyard and maybe a spin halyard either side.

Use a chain block as it gives you more control

Then use the main sheet system to balance it, if you can get a second main sheet or chain block grab it as you need to walk the engine forward usually to clear the bridgedeck the walk it aft to clear into the cockpit and also to swing onto the dock.

It's easier to use a hiab but you need to be on the hard or at least alongside a sea wall etc

It's very doable using the boom but make sure you have lots of time and gear (never taken more than a few hours)

Also it's much easier to get the engine off the dock at high tide, you will need a trolley or use a marina trolley but don't get caught, they take a dime view of this.

Then find a tree that you can swing it off and back a ute or trailer under it.

How do you know when a Perkins needs Oil??? When it stops leaking :wink:

I call it the "Perkins Automatic Corrosion Control System".

So when you do the Seals, take off all covers you can find and seal them with a Gasket making sealant and refit. Take the Tappet cover off(and while it is off, check and set tappet clearance) and seal that down as well.

Bloody things leak oil and rattle like hell but seemingly go forever.

Rattle I am not so sure about. I have heard far worse. I have heard sweeter also, but.

Vetus and Volvo both use the smaller Perkins blocks for a couple of their models and Caterpillar now builds the 6.354 engines under their own badge name. All the Perkins engines are pretty much Bullet proof. As long as you can keep clean fuel up to them, they will get you to point B through anything.

Caterpillar now builds the 6.354 engines under their own badge name. All the Perkins engines are pretty much Bullet proof. As long as you can keep clean fuel up to them, they will get you to point B through anything.

I think that Cat own perkins now?

The older perkins ( Massey Fergusson ) motors were one of the best for tractors and lighter industrial vehicles... Not so much now ( but who puts a modern perkins in a boat anyway? Far better choices ).

I believe that some middle eastern oil producer had a share in the original Perkins motor company hence the lack of sealing :P

Archived