Cav 26

BigBlue

Hi Guys.

I'm trying to give my dad a hand with his old Cav 26. We're not really sure what to do with it...

To be honest it's been a bit lonely over the past 2 years, we used to have some great trips on it but now there seems to be so much work to get it back up to scratch, and to be honest we have all moved on.

So:

What do we do with it.

She was a lovely boat but right now her status is:

On the hard at HMB, sanded back and ready for some antifoul

Single piston inboard engine has seiezed

Main is ok, but headsail is like tissue paper

Internally she's pretty sweet, new berth covers, nice varnish, working head, the simple things are great, 2 batteries, radio, fm radio etc.

Topsides she's filthy, standard rigging is ok, but running rigging all needs replacing.

She needs a good scrub (damn seaguls!)

Do we:

Invest $2-4K or more to tidy her up ourselves? Will that be recouped when we sell it?

Antifoul and stick her back on a mooring and sell her as is where is?

Donate to out flegding Navy to use as practise?

What woudl you do if you were stuck with her?

Looking forward to hearing what you think?

Cheers

find someone that wants to restore her and GIVE her away.

You may never recoup the $$ and time when you come to sell.

Of course, there is a good chance you will recoup what you spend on her, but is it worth the time to do so??

When I want to move something I put it on trade Me with a $1 reserve. Always works and have been pleasantly surprised a few times.

That's a better idea than mine....

I restored my cav26 ( full re spray decks hull, New covers windows, varnish, wiring, squabs etc ) & sold her for lots but it was a totally different market then and I did entierly everything myself.

Interestingly she's back on the market now but I dont think she will fetch her price.

If u do it all yourself, find some second hand sails, rebuild the old donk or find a second hand one it may be worth it to get her sailing again

To be anal the Peterson is the cav26 the Bob salthouse design is a salthouse25. The Salthouse25 was never branded under the cavalier umbrella, people just assumed because it was designed by bob like the 32&39 that it was a Cavalier 26 :) further more I heard that rob carpanter designed 90% of the salthouse25

Lol my parents use to own a cav32 then a cav36 & I own a cav36 that came with a full manual for the entire cavalier range! I always assumed that the salthouse was a Cavalier 26 until I rowed past a cav26 in napier and then the penny dropped.

I spend far too much time marina mooching & drawing boats so I find every boat interesting

The non skid on deck?

I think it's part of the mold. we haven't added anything there.. I think it's even covered in the original gel coat still.

Does work well though.

Archived