Composting Toilets

I can imagine someone emptying the desiccated contents over the side only to hit a lifeline or a winch/handle and having the contents blow all over the cockpit. Just like ash trays used to do. Even worse the dust then blowing back into you face whilst you're laughing at the person who now has to clean up. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:...  :sick:

Yeah, or you could have a new (ish) car!! :wtf:

For anyone who is considering an Airhead. I have almost sold all of the first shipment - 2 in the last few days - 1 remains. As these were purchased when the NZ dollar was much better against the USD, the price will go up $300 odd with the next lot. Anyone want the last one (it is on trademe as well, first in first served!)

Matt

I can imagine someone emptying the desiccated contents over the side only to hit a lifeline or a winch/handle and having the contents blow all over the cockpit. Just like ash trays used to do. Even worse the dust then blowing back into you face whilst you're laughing at the person who now has to clean up. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:...  :sick:

Actually Pumbaa it's not anything like ash. It's like slightly damp soil. It really does not smell (which I still find hard to believe, but that's how it is). It does not stick to anything, and could be swept over the side if you are unfortunate enough to dump it on deck by mistake!

My install does not smell - well, nothing I can detect.

It is a HUGE improvement over the old Lavac marine head and Lectrasan system.

Initially the urine smell was bad when emptying. Then I read some more, and found a tablespoon of brown sugar in the bottom of the urine tank each time you empty it removes that smell as well. I have  never filled it completely, but I guess it's about 8 litres or so. I'll measure the capacity and post it, 'cause I could be well out!

Any minor smell (if there is any) for a few seconds while emptying, is IMO, still way better than unblocking the head in the middle of your summer holiday, like is pretty common with standard marine ones!

Oh, and just in case - the solids container is great fertiliser for a garden - BUT NOT A VEGE GARDEN, or on any plants for human consumption. Flower garden is good. I think there is a time frame for human waste on vege gardens etc of three years composting first, IIRC. 

I like the lectrasan myself, have had our present unit for 10 years with no problems. It is totally maintenance free except for a yearly flush with diluted hydrochloric acid. Like the previous poster we run the engine while operating the lectrasan because of the long cable run causing a bit of voltage drop but that is no hardship. No tipping stuff over the side or leaving a bay to empty the holding tank and no smells.

You run the engine to take a dump?????

Yes we do. Sounds crazy I know but used to it now and not a big deal. Less of a deal than the alternatives talked about here I think. We have an older model unit and if the engine is not running the low voltage light comes up on the Lectrasan panel. The newer units are quite different from what I understand. Anyway at dump time the batteries and the freezer normally need a top up so not a problem.

Lectrasans are good when working properly. The lifespan of an electrode pack is about 750 - 3000 uses - and they are expensive - about $750  - iirc . Say $0.20 to $1 per flush.

Sorry CG, they are not maint free, as you will eventually discover. The low treatment light will begin to flash - which can be temporarily overcome by - running the motor! The increased voltage will allow the old/worn/clogged electrode pack to function a bit longer, but eventually you wont be able to stop the low treatment signal, and if use continues (you'll be discharging only partially treated sewerage ) then the unit will stop entirely.

Eventually the motor seals wear, and the units start to smell.

I had an electrasan for 15 years, including about 4 years live-aboard in total. I'd far rather have one than a holding tank, but I prefer the composting head. During that time our lectrsan had a replacement controller board, 2 electrode packs, and a set of motor seals. It had to be removed for the electrode pack replacement, and was mechanically cleaned and returned to service in spotless condition each time. Maintenance free they are not. 

Zero discharge is going to become more common, and you can use the composting head anywhere, incl in the marina.

Yes they like most stuff on a boat wear out over time and need maintenance or replacement, but so far we have had a good run out of our unit and they are very easy to operate. My intention is when it does fail to chuck it out and get another as repair of old stuff in my experience is often false economy. I agree they are not cheap but what is in the boating world !!

Been putting off the whole holding tank issue for some time on my yacht.  The composting toilet topic was interesting but could not quite get my 'head' (scuse pun here) around the whole idea.  However on Tuesday I went from sceptic to a believer in a few short minutes after peering down the inner secrets of 'Island Time's' composting toilet.  No smell here, simple to operate and install, no seacocks, pumps, vented loop's and associated plumbing paraphenalia etc.  The matt...er was easily decided and I ordered one.  At last I will have a legal yacht, now with a quick hull scrub and fresh antifoul I should pass muster to spend some cruising time in BOI this summer.

• Upvote 1

Update. The  Airhead has been installed exactly as per instructions into Amitie II. Has been In use over the past two weeks. It is working perfectly to spec.  This is one of those purchases where you just know that you have made the right choice.  There is no smell, the whole system is easy to use and operate.  The liquids tank is easily removed for emtying and with the inclusion of the raw sugar I could not detect any smell whatsovever.  Totally recommend the unit.  Took out 2 Sea Cock thru hull fittings, freed up the head of inlet and outlet hoses, which incidently I discovered were 60% closed.  So I have avoided a potential bullet there. And provided more space beneath the head sink and bench.

• Upvote 1