coastal multihull record

ex TL systems

I saw Vodafone saying that 5 hours is the next goal and definately achievable, congratulations on some awesome sailing and preparation, but if Team NZ or Oracle had been there last Friday on their foiling cat from the last cup campaign how fast could they have got to Russell. In those conditions would they be foiling at 40 + knots and able to complete the course in under 4 hours? Did anyone expect 5 hours to be realistic 10 years ago? You would need a 29.75 knot average over the 119 mile course to complete in 4 hours, in the right conditions with a big foiling multi it must be possible? I guess the last few miles to the finish could be the biggest hurdle, as well as the right conditions :wink:

:?: Agree with the above comments, amazing how the big boats go now, (both mono and multi)

However - and not wishing to poor cold water on anyones achievements, well done to the winners of all the divisions, and especially to Calm for beating Calm 2 ! It remains that the finish line was approx. 200 -250M east of the usual position - directly in line with the wharf and main street. So how does this affect the records? Yes I am old and pedantic :wink:

how do you reef their wings?

They don,t but they can control the power generated pretty well with camber twist etc, we saw them near Rangitoto one windy day 25 -30 knots and they were able to park up easily in one spot, and didn,t have any problems sailing. Still at the end of the day putting the "sail" away could be a bit tricky, easier if like Vodafone you have a wingmast plus soft sail. then that can be reefed and stowed and in extreme winds the mast is a storm sail, :)

Remember in the Top Gear episode in NZ when May raced Clarkson on Oracles AC45, They went from Coromandel to Sprits Bay (?) in something like 7 or 8 hours...

I cant remember the exact details but someone probably does. extrapolated out, that is probably near on breaking the Coastal Classic record...

yes, I saw that episode recently, and they claimed it was all filmed in one day but not sure if you can believe everything you see on tv. Funny how they just happened to arrive within minutes of the car that they were racing? It could be done though as the 24 hr record set in 2009 is almost 1000 nm at an average of close to 40 knots!

I'm pretty sure they did do it.

I,m pretty sure that I,m not sure if they did it or not but it sure looked like they did it on TV and thats the important part , right? :? They were sailing and getting wet at least so I,m pretty sure they must have been going fast :)

Archived