30ft-ish offshore-capable cruiser/racer?

:thumbup: Yes Dr she would sail rings around most of the boats mentioned in the light or the heavy, and you have a bonafide kiwi classic. Have a look around the Bay of Islands at Christmas see how many of these are being sailed by older couples that have come up from Auckland or further, then see how many 88's or 1020's are there doing the same. Its a revelation to many to see who really does the cruising miles not once but every year. Kauri Townsons :clap:
:thumbup: Yes Dr she would sail rings around most of the boats mentioned in the light or the heavy, and you have a bonafide kiwi classic. Have a look around the Bay of Islands at Christmas see how many of these are being sailed by older couples that have come up from Auckland or further, then see how many 88's or 1020's are there doing the same. Its a revelation to many to see who really does the cruising miles not once but every year. Kauri Townsons :clap:

Any Townson is a great boat to hone your sailing skills.

Beautifully balanced non twitchy and no tip truck.

Really nice feature among many is the engine sited above the keel in the saloon.

There are a lot of pig ugly tired orphans out there but it would reasonably hard to find a Townson that is dogged.

Got a real cutie T32 on my marina getting a birthday,simplicity at its best.

I have a chico 30 which I am considering I might sell. It's absolutely ideal for you; I bought it in 2000 from a couple that had sailed to the Islands on it; discovered it had serious osmosis and had it peeled, dried out (took a year) and re-skineed with 3 layers of quadridrectional fibreglass, with vinyl ester - Maurice Dickie, a very well known boat builder did it. It had the tall rig, 1 m higher than usual, 2 spreaders instead of 1, and we re-rigged it to bury the stays deep into the new hull. I asked Maurice to re-design the rudder as the chico 30 is heavy on the hellm; it's so responsive I've twice had 6 year old girls helm it (upwind) in 20 knots.

It's no slug, we won season championship at Lowry Bay Yacht Club last year, with a (mostly) all-woman's crew. Lots of purchases on all the running rigging, My husband (now deceased) and I did a number of trips to the Sounds and Nelson with it.

Looking at your requirements - head only has a curtain but I'm sure you could seal it off.

Diesel engine we bought new about 10 years ago and professionally serviced since - 30 hp volvo 

We fibreglassed the teak decks but kept teak in the cockpit, recommend fibreglassing the rest. No leaks at present.

You;re welcome to come for a sail any time soon :-)

Molly Melhuish 027 230 5911