2011 Pacific quarter ton cup

Quarterback

30yrs on from the 1980 worlds held by PYBC

a reunion regatta has been scheduled for March 5-6th Olympic and W/L courses

11-13th March Gulf courses within the annual 2 handed 3 legged series further info from Panmure Yacht & Boating Club info@pybc.org.nz

or John Bennett @ info@sparloft.co.nz

09 5793923

open to 1973-1980 rated 1/4 yachts. 727, Harmonic 24, Magic Bus Whiting mk 1-2-3 and other one offs

WORLD ¼ TON CHAMPS 1980

¼ ton sailing started at PYBC in 1973 when John Bennett and Jim Walter looked at the possibility of hosting an event for the Tauranga ¼ Ton Cup Trophy. This was sailed over Easter 1973, with a fleet of displayment boats Wagstaff designs Gumdiger and Apollo and several SS24s, 727 and Fantizpants, being sponsored by Taubmans Paints and continued on as the annual NZ championships for the PGH Trophy which culminated in the sending of MAGIC BUS, skippered by Paul Whiting and Murray Ross to Corpus Christi, Texas, USA where they won the world championship. This gave New Zealand the right to host the next World Series.

In 1979 John Bennett moved that the PYBC hold the World Champs and a committee was formed consisting of:

CHAIR - C Bennett, SEC - K Haughey, COMMITTEE - J Snell, L Giles, J Bennett, M Watson, J Dickson, J Fowler, K Warnock, P Cross, K Cowan. CLASS REPRESENTATIVES - M Tremain, B Beetson. The date set for 20th November to 30th November 1980. The Committee had the task of notifying the countries of this event and dates of entries and races.

A series of races to select reps for NZ Challengers started on 25th October till last race 31st October 1980 where there were 15 starter entries. Most of them went on to compete in the world event. Bob Graham’s BASHFUL was chartered by an Australian and STRAWBERRY LETTER was chartered to a French crew.

ANCHOR CHALLENGE KZ4420 B THOM

BLACK FUN KZ3311 G GIBSON

BLUEBERRY KZ4439 H SMITH

CHIEF WEASEL 4453 R FIELD

DELIRIUM 2768 J DOUGLAS

HATCHWAY HUMMER KZ4223 N WHITCOMBE

HELLABY 4320 J LASHER

HOME GROWN 2959 M MOLONEY

HOT NUMBER 4274 V NEWLOVE

MS PREMIER PLASTICS 3951 K PEARCEY

PINTO 2163 W GAIR

POSH RAT 3882 B BAX

RIGHT ON 2445 H TREBTSCH

RUSSELL PUMPER 3268 D PYE

SAMSON KZ3524 H DODSON

SMOKY JOE 3650 J WAKEFIELD

STRAWBERRY LETTER 3642 W RADFORD

TRINITY 3942 J WILLIAMS

The New Zealand series was won by ANCHOR EXPRESS skippered by Roy Dickson and crewed by Barry Thom, A Cleave, B De Fluiter. The final World Series was won by BULLET representing France. Bullet is still sailing in Tahiti.

Looking forward to it.... Next big query is how will the handicapping be done...or if at all? ( I have no idea how it was run 30 years back!).

Also- Does anyone out there know much about the history of Smokey Joe?

From the old worlds placing, she didn't go too well....was that a bad day at the office for the lads sailing her?

post-1784-141887163642.jpg

She's not from what I can see built anything like the other Whiting's I've seen so far- ie Strawberry Letter and Infiltrator.

Is SJ the Cruising version?

It would be interesting to find out more on the whiting variant history.

At some point SJ has had a new rig with swept back spreaders put in.....it would be interesting to know who by etc, and any pro's con's along the way.

I modified her stern when rebuilding her extending the rear deck lockers to the stern.

We seem to be doing ok with the boat currently, but since rebuilding the boat, it's still far from optimised....so it would be great to pick the brains of anyone that has spent time with the 1/4 tonners when they were being raced heavily....no doubt there are some interesting tricks to try.

Anyone pickout whats wrong with this picture!

post-1784-141887163645.jpg

There are some interesting looking holes through the bow I've been trying to figure out what they were used for.

Cheers,

Anatole

post-1784-141887163645.jpg

Picture I meant to include before...did a double up.

SJ's neither region with the lockers extended....Was Dove tailed when I got her, but the decks and gunnals were rotten....bow to stern! (now replaced!)

post-1784-141887163648_thumb.jpg

Good shot of Black Fun, looking forward to seeing how she goes in the QTC next year - she could have been the world champ in '77 if they had been able to get her to Finland.

Toles, re your query on handicapping the March series next year, I would guess this could be on general handicap while things get started, but they use IRC in Europe for the QTC (max rating of .916 or thereabouts). Puts paid to masthead kites though. But apparently it favours the fairer hulled quarter tonners, as bumps and hollows are not well rewarded under IRC. You might be interested in www.runawaybus.co.uk which is a website dedicated to the upgrading of a Whiting quarter tonner, and includes a section on finetuning quarter tonners under IRC.

Smokey Joe finished 11th in the 1980 QTC, out of 18, so not catastrophic. Only a few places behind Black Fun, and the second Whiting boat. But everyone was burnt off by Bullit.

Not sure what was wrong with your picture? (only thing I could see was the set of our kite behind you!)

toles. one thing wrong with your top picture is that your only that far ahead of the trackers.

second pic. mumbo jumbo is about 10 degrees higher and looks about to spit ya out.

infiltrator. only thing i know about it is that it used to be down bucks a long time ago. then sat on a mooring at orakie for a looooooooooong time. then he cleaned it up and now you have it.

...and the all time legend of all time.

Wasn't Black Fun also the survivor of an arson attack back in the 81 during the HART (halt all racial tours) period

:shifty: :?:

Aparently yes. Not too sure of the detail.

There was a little bit of burnt/charred timber on the traveller beam in the port side qtr berth but

I think most of the cockpit was rebuilt at some stage - probably when burnt out.

That BF picture was on the cover of Tradeaboat many years back. It was taken after Steve Champion had done some pretty substantial work on her. Scoop, rudder and keel I think.

There were moulds for glass Magic buses, and Herb Tremain had a mould that came off Bashfull that Blackfun and Continental Fun came from, are they in a padock somewhere. the Harminic moulds were in Nelson several years ago.

These all may have met the same end as my Farr1104 moulds have now land fill, but I do have the hatched still if any 1104 needs a anchor well covers or mainhatch or envolope cockpit lockers they are here.

Like Toles, I’d be keen to know what sort of handicap system the series would be run under.

Is IRC an option, or would the cost be prohibitive for many of the entrants?

The trouble with most performance based handicaps in my experience, is that it tends to penalise those boats that are sailed well.

Come to the meeting of interested 1/4 ton style

yachts on Saturday 28th August 1600hrs at Panmure Y&BC the home of 1/4 ton 1973-81

we want your ideas to add to ours

class prizes, general overall, line overall etc etc.

looking for lots of fum and rum.

Please bring your mesurements I J P E Lwl Draft Disp

as i have a mini rating programme to try

John@sparloft.co.nz

does any know the history of this one "gr8 fun" sitting on the hard at Hobby, looks to be davidson, but know bussel. And there's a bit of doctor who sitting on the deck. keel looks like it could of been good, but having seen it up close I would be pulling it off to check it.

post-234-141887164813.jpg

You sure thats a 1/4 ton?!

It looks far to pretty along the waterline!!

I like the dangly bit off the bottom....Wish mine was flash like that.

Apparently even with a weighted bread board under the boat it can get along ok though....so probably not worth replacing!

Archived