A lightweight Flyer

SloopJohnB

Looks like she would be very fast! But have to agree with HnF, something does look a little odd...

In a couple of photos she is heeling more than the other boats yet she is a canter and has sort of "wings"? Is this just a trick of the eye because of her shape? Or am I missing something all together...

>

I only went a wee way through the photos as our web connection is on a go slow today....bl....dy Telstra.... Anyway it does look to me like they are NOT using the canting. the tackle going to the top of the keel under the boom looks like the keel is vertical. That would explain the extra heel, she is probably light on ballast in that situation. Vagauly looks like a NZ boat called Frenzy, which was a Lambert??

The one photo I see above the keel looks canted to me, but I guess she is designed to have a couple of heavies on the rail as well. DR you're bang on - how in hell is anyone supposed to get downstairs for the beers with the mast in the way?

Guest Dry Reach
The one photo I see above the keel looks canted to me, but I guess she is designed to have a couple of heavies on the rail as well. DR you're bang on - how in hell is anyone supposed to get downstairs for the beers with the mast in the way?

Does aid in Kite lauching though. and the rudder "hole" is a drag producer too!

Can't get the photobucket site to load at present. The photo is heard to swee but by ruddr hole do you mean what I think you do? It kind of looks a bit like a transom hung rudder only not on the transom, so there's a hole for the arc of the rudder to swing in? Really :?: :wtf:

Guest Dry Reach
Can't get the photobucket site to load at present. The photo is heard to swee but by ruddr hole do you mean what I think you do? It kind of looks a bit like a transom hung rudder only not on the transom, so there's a hole for the arc of the rudder to swing in? Really :?: :wtf:

Yip ! imagine the water that gushes through that peice of "art work" when planeing down wind!

why woodcha?

Guest Dry Reach
I've just seen all my typos - for crying out loud don't tell anyone or the grammar police (aka BB) will growl at me! :lol:

see the INNER PEACE thread in small talk and that might explain it.

wurks 4 me :crazy:

Have done a few mods to a few boats including adding length to the back end.

Looks to me like the scoop is a midification and the builder decided it would be easier to use the original rudder rather than build a new spade.

The entire thing looks rather old. The bulb would be a drag and the wetted surface is likely to increase as the boat heals. Most canters today are more slab sided.

Am sure the guy had a lot of fun doing it and enjoys sailing it too.

Thats what its about !!

Archived