Would you go bust if kiwis stopped fishing?

I do not know the answer Kevin,all i know is we spend a hell of a lot money on new boats fishing gear accommodation etc and we employ a lot of people doing it,all about trying to get a fair deal,visit website and ask?

tasmania has just released figure from 2011/2012 survey.550 thousand people in tassie,95 thou fish total spend was 95 million,new boats charters gear insurance accommodation etc

900thou fish in nz and our share is 65 of allowable catch while comms get 94% comms export about 1.4billion and take in value is about 85 million,so takes too much?

The survey is primary of what we the recreational fisherman spend in pursuit of our sport.

What the return in taxes,gst etc is worth to the Government compared to what commercial returns.

The latest survey figures for tasmania are interesting and will see a comparison to nz.

http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/Documents/Whats%20_the_Catch_Brochure.pdf

I have my personal beliefs with reserves such as goat island,accessible for all.

A reserve would work at Tiri tiri Island  in wharf bay where the ferry goes,go ashore check out the bird life and while waiting for return ferry sea fish in the natural element.

I am not entering a debate whether reserves are good or bad.

The original post was put up for those who have a interest in fishing or involved in the marine industry.

If we ceased fishing or cut down on the amount of trips would it effect your business

If people cut down on trips or ceased fishing it would certainly make my weekends a lot nicer:)

However I don't see how recreational fishing is of much value to Government other than recreational fishers vote, if it disappeared people would just spend their disposable income on something else surely?

Commercial fishing income however does at least bring in much needed overseas funds which helps the economy no end, so is of infinitely more value and a better use of resource, despite what we may think of their methods. 

Google this report

Comparing NOAA’s Recreational and Commercial Fishing Economic Data

Southwick & Assoc May 2013 

In the USA 

1lb of fish caught by comms generated $1.57  added value

1lb of fish caught by recreational generated $152.00  added value

http://asafishing.org/uploads/Comparing_Recreational_and_Commercial_Marine_Fishing_Data_Report_Summary_May_2013.pdf

Comparing NOAA’s Recreational and Commercial Fishing Economic Data

A report released in May 2013 by the American Sportfishing Association makes a powerful case that from an economic perspective, recreational fishing is just as important as commercial fishing, despite a much lower overall impact on the resource. According to the report, anglers landed just two percent of the total saltwater landings compared to ninety-eight percent caught by the commercial fishing industry.

This first-of-its-kind analysis - Comparing NOAA’s Recreational and Commercial Fishing Economic Data, May 2013 - provides an apples-to-apples comparison of recreational and commercial marine fishing from an economic perspective using NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Services (NOAA Fisheries) 2011 economic data. The report was produced for ASA by Southwick Associates.

Among the findings are:

• Anglers landed just two percent of the total saltwater finfish landings compared to ninety-eight percent caught by the commercial fishing industry. 
  • Saltwater landings by anglers contributed three times more to the national gross domestic product (GDP, or value-added) than commercial landings. 
  • The recreational sector added $152.24 in value-added, or GDP, for one pound of fish landed, compared to the commercial sector’s $1.57 for a single pound of fish.
  • Within the jobs market, the recreational sector made up fifty-four percent of all jobs, both recreational and commercial. This amounts to 455,000 recreational jobs compared to 381,000 on the commercial side.
  • For every 100,000 pounds landed there were 210 recreational fishing jobs but only 4.5 jobs in the commercial fishing industry.

If proven successful,can you imagine the returns to say Auckland. A charter vessel could go on a 4 hr trip with overseas guests who have limited time,catch a fish photograph  and released.That fish could be caught 2/3 or more times and keeps adding value.ie accomodation,resturaunts etc.

A commercially caught fish can only be caught once.

Take a Kahawai for sport catch/release a heck of a lot of fun,whats it worth ??

Commercial currently selling Kahawai for 90 cents a kg

So "Whats fishing worth" to the industry in the tourist and marine sector?

I have to ask, what is it specifically about that proposal that you don't want to see?

Tends to lock up areas that small boats use .ie safe for families and shelter,the area around tirtiri matangi could have a benefit though,catch ferry to look at birds then a swim while waiting for ferry to see marine life.

I accept this is not for everyone's liking but at some stage the government of the day must recognize the value of private fisherman and boaties in general.whether that be from the bait shop sparmaker engine repairer etc whether we fish or not .

Our recreational pastime employees a lot of people directly and indirectly.

I do not have all the answers,just putting it out there and if you need/want more information contact s are on the web site.

I don't think the marine reserves means small boats can't go there, just no taking of marine life - am I right on that??

My very slightly informed impression is that the existing reserves have been a giant success, including benefits for local communities??