Farr 1220.... Comments about them needed please ...

I'm in the market for a family yacht, to cruise around Hauraki Gulf, and have my mind almost made up on a Farr 1220, there safes for sale at present in Akl

Would love to know what ( if any ) vices / bad points you may be keen to share about this design yacht please. I have sailed one in a 60nm race about 20 years ago , and was suitably impressed. 20 years later I find myself with wife and 3 children and want to enjoy cruising the Gulf and Northland coast.

Cheers

Great Boat! I'm biased though, as I have a very similar Farr (Phase 4).

Well balanced, and although not a competitive racer (was designed primarily as a cruiser) they still sail very well, especially on the wind. Some are pretty shabby now, but there are still some good examples. Cockpit is small compared to more modern designs, but larger than most similar age or older boats. Still can seat 4 in comfort around the table in the cockpit, 6 at a push. Interior space is good without having hugely high topsides and a cockpit on top of an aft cabin like some boats do now.

We have been very pleased with ours in 15 yrs of ownership, and many miles. I've still not seen another 40ft cruiser I'd rather have for the $ concerned.

It is a real yacht - mostly sails as fast or faster than she will motor.

Thanks ISLAND TIME, that sounds like a great 15 years of sailing. These comments and opinions are greatly appreciated, as I am not in a position to spend $250-350K on a "newer" import  40' yacht, hence the desire to have a nice NZ built 1220.

When I sailed a 1220 back in 1994, it was a Round Waiheke Race with BBYC , and I recall it being a nice 15knt breeze, which we obviously had on all points of sail. Boat performed well, and at that time in 1994  I owned a Young 11, was in my late 20s and never imagined I would need a family cruiser one day !

Myrecent yacht was a Davidson 28, although small, and slow, served us well with several cruises to BOI during the summers we owned her. Now its on to bigger and more comfortable yachts for us !

Huge difference from a Davidson 28 , way better in all regards - except price! I just had a look at the 1220 a couple of berths down - the cockpit is slightly smaller than the phase 4. Performance is very similar though. There were mostly Farr boats at the front of the (monohull) fleet of the solo Tasman in 2010, a Farr 38, a 1220, and me, with only a few hours between. All boats of similar age as well. They are by no means slugs, but certainly not up anywhere near a modern 40ft race boat. 10-12 knots is not to hard to achieve, our best ever is 18.6. Momentarily! Average in normal conditions is 6-9 knots.

Which one are you looking at?

That's great to hear how well those Farr yachts performed in solo race , however I think my intentions are solely cruising.

I've heard from some fellow sailors to check for Osmosis of course , and whether the hull liner / grid ( I assuming keel / mast attachment ) is sound as they had a tendency to separate ? We are getting a hull survey prior to purchase , that's lined up in a few weeks time.

Hopefully see you on the water this summer !

Cheers

No Worries, I was just tying to say (perhaps in a round about way) that they are not poor sailors!

Yep survey is required on all prospective vessels. Osmosis can be an issue in any vessel of that age, as can groundings, poor maintenance etc etc...

Good Luck. If you see us out there, come over and introduce yourself, normally a beer or two in the fridge on Island Time :-)

Matt

Guest Ketchup

I think you will find that for 180-200k you can buy better in a import Jeanneau, Beneteau etc.

The 1220 were good in thier day and the ones on trade me are in good Nike but they are older and less suitable to cruising and racing than the new "post 1994" imports.

150k can buy some nice kit in Greece right now.

If you want real value you should have looked at importing a euro or american boat about a year ago when our dollar was actually worth something....

Bloody milk! :-(

Hi there ,

Duty free is a 1220 ---its a great boat --its been to the islands twice, l have

done a 2 handed round NI and several coastals/white island etc and always go away for 10 -15 days over Christmas --very very pleased with her, good solid ,reliable boat and feel very safe --on the cockpit --my crew bought me a fitting allowing me to take the wheel off when at anchor /on marina --changes the whole dynamic of the cockpit and space and, have taken her off the anchor under auto pilot to test how that goes --l find her well balanced , easily powered and whilst we are not a competitive boat really can perform well if sailed well ----the 1220 has good fridge/freezer capacity and space to both store and add things if you wish .

I have been very pleased in stepping up to her and finding all controls are back in the cockpit --if you want to have a sail let me know or joion us tomorrow for a squadron race .

Andrew

Great replies thanks guys , especially DUTY FREE, that's sounds like a really good mod. And thanks for the offer of sailing , unfortunately I have my little girl turning 5 this weekend so big family time and party etc. grrrr. . . .

I have been self employed in Import / Distribution for 20+ years , and am also disappointed with NZD direction lately , but we will weather this and keep going fine. I'm really certain that a 1220 will be fine for us , even if they're 30 years old ish. We have cash , no boat to sell , so am hoping the old analogy " money talks , and cash shouts " may help at negotiating time !

I think you will find that for 180-200k you can buy better in a import Jeanneau, Beneteau etc.

The 1220 were good in thier day and the ones on trade me are in good Nike but they are older and less suitable to cruising and racing than the new "post 1994" imports.

Not sure I agree about the racing. We race our Davo 35 against a lot of European production boats up here in Asia. If we can walk all over them in the D35 then a 1220 would also do the same. It is only the newer more race orientated racer/cruisers from Europe that actually have some speed, i.e. the Bene First series or the likes of Booboo's Sunfast. 

• Upvote 1

Well we have had our offer accepted, so subject to survey results being okay, we will be new owners of a 1220 by months end. We inspected / offered on 3 different 1220s , and will be very happy to rediscover the beauty of Gulf cruising after a 4 year "gap". I'm sure we will no doubt find many things to repair / replace on a nearly 30yo yacht, but that is part of the experience.

Sure will be great to meet up on the water one day Andrew, we are likely to be the 1220 with hardly any sails up initially! Small kids have to get used to the sailing again, as well as us oldies!

Do you know of any problems with "osmosis" on 1220s ? We obviously are having a Survey carried out, and are nervous of course as we have nil experience or knowledge about it.