Milford Bridge

Interesting to see the Milford Bridge operator attempting to lower the bridge to allow foot traffic across after specifically responding to a VHF call agreeing to hold it up to allow boats entering with an easterly and building sea behind them. This occurred yesterday afternoon, and was particularly dangerous, before these 'security men' are put in charge of the bridge they need training that points out that navigation of craft has priority over all else. ATOC has a disaster waiting to happen here, its only for the high tide period this issue but the planners obviously don't understand this as the operator sleeps in his hut through the low tide. Unlike the viaduct there is absolutely no turning room or way of stopping or backing up here, and the piles to tie to can not be approached by anyone except runabouts or those with the shallowest of draught because of a large grid put there by the bridge constructors.

• Upvote 1

you can be sure that the beaurocrats will close ranks on any issue that may or may not have occured.  There won't be a bloke asleep in a hut next to the bridge - it'll be controlled from "central command" in the city and probably on some stupid auto time loop.

At this stage it is operated on demand from the boaties by a man on site, this week it was meant to revert to a controller in the city motorway network room, however after issues such as  when it jammed whilst a number of boats were trying to exit for an evening race there appears to still be someone there. The big issue is the cameras installed do not show the creek entrance which one would reasonably suppose is crucial to the safe operation of the facility.

Unlike the viaduct you are committed once past the first marker and you can not slow down or risk losing steerage, there is certainly no possibility of turning for anything bigger than a runabout. In fact the coastguard did the right thing and requested the operator leave the bridge up on Monday till some vessels were in, well done them.

Is this the one?  

Yah, we've had these proposed in our area, but no one could figure out how to make them work reliably - especially when weather is on the way returning  boats are supposed to have priority. 

1434596116427.jpg

Or this one? 

Swing_bridge_arthur.jpg

Another cock up for the bridge operators yesterday, jammed down for 35 mins while boats waited to get out, how long will it take for them to realise that nobody needs to man it at low tide- there are no boats, conversely at hi tide boats have priority and they have created an obstruction to a navigable waterway. Its high time the harbour master got involved here as safety of people and craft is being put in jeopardy. I can see why the previous Harbour Masters did not want a bar of it as the potential for harm and the resultant legal liability is quite something -all paid for by our rates!

• Upvote 1

Still problems with this bridge, unmanned as of last weekend and the VHF appears unmanned as well, no reply for a number of callers so have to resort to cellphone, this is a navigational hazard, the spotlights blind people coming and going- are they legal on a navigable waterway? And when calling on the VHF the viaduct control can clearly be heard (same channel) so Atoc wherever they are - are not listening.

Would Mr Goff like to comment on this fiasco? Certainly the Harbourmaster he trained under -Captain James Mcpetrie would have had a say on behalf of all mariners.

• Upvote 1

I didn't catch who it was but he was measured and careful and had all the facts and figures and handled himself with a firmness and aplomb which I greatly admired and enjoyed (subtext = I was laughing out loud that someone could stick it to Auckland Transport so nicely and so publicly). The whole exchange would make great radio training listening because there were also comms problems between the boat and Channel 16 (#16) which were sorted out by double and triple confirmations.

The #16 operator seemed to be from the Wellington Search and Rescue because he said he was also coordinating a guy off the rocks at Raglan and something else. #16 also handled it well and had not heard of the issue before.

The boat said it was a safety issue and he wasn't able to get through on the VHF as was the protocol. When asked if there was a phone number he said yes and gave  the Auckland Transport number. I think he said sometimes the phone wasn't answered and that in any case the VHF should be responded to.

He asked #16 to follow it up and they said they would but it might take half an hour or so because of other emergencies in progress.

I was left with the distinct impression that this was a rather big fail from Auckland Transport. I can't recall if I read it somewhere or the boat said on #16 during this exchange that the default should be: if comms go down then the bridge is left up.

Now that we've got a record of Search and Rescue identifying the problem and presumably raising it with Auckland Transport, I would hope that someone has some firm words to Auckland Transport and that boats and lives are not put at risk in future.