How little $$$ to sail around the world

I think it can be done easily as long as his 30footer is tough and properly prepared and he takes materials to keep it maintained as long as possible.And he can go ashore plenty,he just has to pick the right places.Dont plan too far ahead.Gather info as he goes and avoid expensive places.Hang out at cheap places.Once he gets going try to "aquire" some papers (copy,theft,forgery,whatever) so that if he gets caught in an expensive situation he can do a runner and have something to present at his next port.He will learn lots of "tricks" as he goes.In crowded popular anchorages it should be possible to insert his boat unobtrusively in the fleet and get what he needs ashore and move on without paying taxes.He should have most of his navigation requirements paid before he leaves.Couple of $100 GPS's.Chart copies for the world $200US on Craigs list sometimes.World charts CD $20US on ebay sometimes.Might be possible to take digital pic of another cruisers chart and display it on a laptop.My main financial concern would be getting past Panama ,or Cape Horn.Can you take a low powered 30footer through the canal?How much $? Get into trouble down Cape Horn way and fall into Chilean hands?

Good on you Idler,you are an inspiration to............Squid.

I dont know why Tuffy would want to go through Suez.He is going to end up in a very expensive lake.

I read that Richards Bay in Sth Africa has the welcome mat out for cruisers.$500 would probably go ten times further than it would in the Med.

Met a couple a fortnight ago, on a Cav 36. They have done the Pacific, and planning their next trip. $30,000.00 a year they reckon. And thats not on bread and water, does include some marina fees, and one haulout. Hope that helps. :D

Good on you Idler,you are an inspiration to............Squid.

I dont know why Tuffy would want to go through Suez.He is going to end up in a very expensive lake.

I read that Richards Bay in Sth Africa has the welcome mat out for cruisers.$500 would probably go ten times further than it would in the Med.

A world cruise isnt a world cruise without,

1. Pyramids

2. Greek Islands

3. Amalfi Coast

4. Morrocco

5. Black Sea and Turkey

6. Sicily

Gotta be done even if it does hit the pocket a bit hard. The current NZD/Euro means its now cheaper than its been for a while.

Sould be possible to do an" economy circumnavigation" without haulout.On a well prepared and equiped boat it is easy to maintain zincs in the tropics and see any other problems develop and head them off.And it should be possible to find places to do bottom work between tides.I managed it in Costa Rica with a Van de Stadt fin keel.

Hi

Our last two years away have been on about $5000 (2002) to $7000 (2008) per year. It's all about what you expect. Good preperation is the key in my view, and keeping everything simple. Also did UK to NZ in a 2 years (1994 to 1996) for about $14,000 all up including the yacht purchase. No toilet, no electrics for first year, no engine. We will be off again and our budget will be a maximum of $10,000 per year, including all maintenance.

I know people will say it can't be done, but it is every day by lots of people.

At last. This was more my thinking. All my sums were more like this and I am glad someone that has done it can now varify my calculations with the real world experience.

If you really wanted a Budget cruise, then I was sure you could do it more for this kind of money. To me, the essentials are the important parts and all else is luxury. I don't understand why some have to have flights home once a year and factor in stays in expensive marinas and eating out at expensive restraunts etc. If you can afford to and money is no object, then sure why not to all those things. But if budget is a priority, then why try and factor those expenses in and not go because then you can't afford it. I say Go and live to your budget and if you run out and have to sail home, so be it. It doesn;t actually cost you when you are sailing. You don't spend till you are in a Port.

How about:-

Mauritius, Madagascar, Mocambique.

Richard's Bay (Winter) - Go inland and visit game reserves (Natal and Mpumalanga), the Zululand Battle Fields, St Lucia, Kosi Bay (by road).

Durban( Winter - leave before Feb.) (used to be a great party place) - Drakensberg.

Cape Town/Simonstown/Gordan's Bay (late Summer) - Mountains, winelands, Karoo,

( Autumn - Winter) - Kalahari, Namibia, Okavango

( Spring) - Namaqualand

St Helena

Canary Islands

Morocco.

No pirates, cheap, varied.

So what sort of boat is ideal for a low-budget world cruise? Do you stick with the 26/28 footer you already have or do you buy bigger for more space - you're going to be living on her for a couple of years after all?

Cheapest price for big volume is ferro-cement. Do you take that road or do you spend the extra on a fibreglass or steel, cutting into your cruising funds? Would it cost more to upgrade your current boat to Cat 1 than buy a bigger one that has already been there? Or do you register her in Panama/Outer Mongolia and not worry about Cat 1?

No.There is no one size fits all.Every individual must look at his own finances and then look at what is available to him.Some individuals will only look at what is local while other individuals will be prepared to look far and wide.Some will find it is possible to do a foreign cruise only if they use a yacht they already own.

I have yet to see evidence of any place where foreign registration is cheap and easy.Flags of convenience are intended for big bucks tax dodgers.

I recently saw a Sayer built RORC39 sell for $35k in Tauranga.It had already circumnavigated twice and was still close to Cat1 spec.But remember,even if you have the gear you still have to suck up to a Cat1 inspector.

Anyone wishing to go crusing on a budget should give Anni Hills Book, "Voyageing on a small income" a read :)

Some great info and ideas.

"It's not how much you have, it's what you spend" :)

Archived