How little $$$ to sail around the world

Talking to a youngster (I swear he was under 30!!!), he wants to sail around the world, not race, just cruise. Wanted to figure out a minimum budget. He's happy with a small (under 30ft) boat, but wants an assessment of the monthly costs. Some are unavoidable (port fees) but outside of that he's ex mountaneering/kayaking type who by our standards would be considered "minimalist".

So - assume he owns the boat already and it is equipped to leave, how much does he need for a 3 yr circumnavigation?

Totaly depends on where he goes.

Much of Asia, cheap, but can't work as usually nothing to do.

UK, Europe and USA, Expensive in all aspects, can't work because of laws.

Pacific Islands, cheap and you might pick up odd jobs for exchange or food.

South America, some parts cheap and you may find odd jobs. Some parts expensive, may pick up work.

Don't pretend to have any knowledge of offshore cruising costs but the calculator says $25k spread over three years = NZ$160 and change per week for food, fuel/running costs/marinas etc (assuming he doesn't earn anything along the way).

Would seem a bit tight to me - any unforeseen breakdown requiring a $500 repair, for example, is going to leave him eating two-minute noodles for a month or so.

That's close to where we were thinking Murky, except fuel and marinas pretty much zero. If you have a boat that isn't loaded with systems diesel would be less than $100 per year. Cooking fuel would be more. Never go to a marina, even "middle class" cruisers don't do that anymore.

A sentence with both 'cruising' and 'marina' in it is a oxymoron.

Anyone like to join my cheap backpacking trip. Night 1 is the Hilton, night 2 is the Sheraton, night 3 is the Waldorf.... yeah right.

I'd be thinking 25K is doable but be hard, very hard. Good point Squidy way to many electronics being used which suck up the gas. Seems to be to hard for some to get away from it all..............without 24/7 interweb :?

Well if he has the boat & the $25K why not just go? Might be home 6 months early, but more likely he'll find a way to top up the kitty.

The other option is keep working & saving, but if you throw in some of the baggage he'll pick up, like an illegitimate child, then maybe a house & mortgage, then a wife, more babies, a mistress etc etc.

Give it 5 more years he'll need a 50 footer & 2.2 million to be in exactly the same place he is now.

Lets have some farewell drinks at HQ on friday nite, pass the hat round and we can probaly get another grand together & wave him goodbye!!

Damn it's a nice thought, lets all go! :D

Anyone like to join my cheap backpacking trip. Night 1 is the Hilton, night 2 is the Sheraton, night 3 is the Waldorf.... yeah right.

Reminds me of when I used to do a lot of tramping. We would get out Packs packed and meet up to then share the load of Food around. All the guys packs are half full and all the Girls Packs are full and some couldnt get everything in. So you start to unload their packs to repack and the first question is, Why the heck have you got five Towels???? "Oh well one is for my hair, one is for after a shower, one is for after a swim, one is for after I wash my face, one is for Sunbathing on" :wtf:

Really? We stayed in Marinas quite a lot when we cruised the Med. Especially over Winter.. Try telling the Tom and Vicky of "Sunstone" that. (Currently living in Westhaven?) It's only recently with the prices going through the roof that Marinas have become so uneconomical for cruisers..

Well im heading off next year, budget is $350 per week living expences (food, diesel, etc) and a $30K emergency fund for the unexpected and/or some luxuries etc.

Tell him to go for it, but put $10K somewhere for emergencies would be my advice.

Really? We stayed in Marinas quite a lot when we cruised the Med. Especially over Winter.. Try telling the Tom and Vicky of "Sunstone" that. (Currently living in Westhaven?) It's only recently with the prices going through the roof that Marinas have become so uneconomical for cruisers..

Yes really. I doubt you'd find many that think Westhaven is the ideal cruising grounds, cruising grounds of any sort even, inc Tom and Vicky.

Cruising means at least 9 out of 10 park ups are done using anchors rather than dock lines.

No, wouldn't need Cat 1. (sshhhhhhhh), but what we are after is monthly operating expenses, assuming preparation is complete.

My recent research says Tuffy is pretty close for a comfortable existence for a couple as long as you stay away from the obvious money sinks and bright lights, this guy is after a bottom figure for a single young male, happy to go with a few shortcuts to save a buck.

We met a few cruisers that were in very basic boats around the 25 foot mark, had sailed all the way from Europe and various far away places to the South Pacific & their expenses were very low. The small boats with no gensets, watermakers etc had little opportunity to cost a lot to run.

Not my style but if I were going for longer, and needed to lower the cost then I could compromise.

At least they were out there doing it, not sitting around talking about it. And when you're in the trades you don't need a battleship or an icebreaker.

Guest Dry Reach

If he cruises the world and keeps out of the main ports and never goes ashore and packs heaps of freeze dried food and does'nt break down... and and and ...

yip @25K is fine! :crazy:

Archived