Double OOOPS

Parked!!
erice, the rudders don't come out, the issue is that the water toward the crest of the wave is not moving, in relation to the rudder. Or from a different way to describe it, the Rudder and the Water are both at the same speed. So with no water moving around the rudder, no steering. At the bow, the Boat is at speed and the water is not moving, so you have that affect and added to that, the bow digs in and any angle of attack becomes pronounced and thus it steers in the opposite direction to the force applied. Which is basically as you described.
       I have never handled a big Cat like that and most certainly never down a wave, so I can not comment in any form, but with a mono Hull, even having it lined up perfectly, the boat can still swing out of a straight line.
I have never tried, but have always thought that if I ever had to take my boat over a Bar like that, I would tow a drogue to slow the boat down and thus have some form of water flow over the rudder, even though it is reverse. That means the rudder is subject to the force from the wrong way and you may never hold the rudder against the force and may even damage it if you can't hold it. So not sure. Maybe the safer way s a drogue from the bow and come in backwards ??? For me, a bar crossing when it is ruff would be a case of only in a most extreme situation.

I timed that and from go to stop was 10 seconds. So maybe your whole life or definitely your whole  boating life is changed forever in those 10 seconds. Is that whats meant by living on the edge? No worse then a car accident i suppose.