Gearbox Failure, towed home :-(

10 days for delivery from Sweden, but fortunately the parts were all located in Ausy. Should be here about Tuesday, so that's great. The selector cone was slightly damaged on the bottom of the lower threads, and one spline damaged when the vertical shaft fell down. I don't think either is bad enough to require replacement. We'll see next week I guess. Fingers crossed, as those two parts are expensive.

Got the gearbox parts Wednesday afternoon, reassembled it Wednesday night, installed Thursday. Relaunched this afternoon, gearbox working well. Also did anti fouling while boat was out.

Now moving on to next issue - overheating at high revs - suspect exhaust elbow, it was doing this before the gearbox problem. I've done the impeller and the heat exchangers for the oil and engine...

Gearbox failure is not fun...

Lost it ....twice...in 18 months on one of the larger boats I skipper.

First time a 7 mile tow and then through a barred entrance....

Second time had to run the salt water deck wash on it to keep it from overheating...then did 170 NM to where it could be hauled....all the time expecting it to clap out completely.

...and I had already been told that due to the boats size that it was a salvage company only that could tow it as all the local volunteer boats in the district were to small..

I have to say though that it is a very rare occurrence. Of all the last lot of VMR jobs I have been on only one was a faulty gearbox. For VMR Hastings thats about one in around two hundred jobs over a year. (The one where the yacht was driven up onto the jetty so hard the keel nearly touched was deemed to be......operator error ......sometimes known as new owner freeze panic)

Most common is magic flat batteries followed by fuel contaminated by air.

Yeah IB, it sucked. Drifting towards the rocks to leeward, too close to anchor, no room or time to bear away and sail. Helpless is not something I'm used to, and I don't like it:-(

Yep, all good. Working on engine cooling issue now - had a partially blocked exhaust elbow, and, it turns out, a stuffed sealing gasket in the header tank pressure cap. Have to get one on Monday, ( being a Volvo penta, it's not an automotive cap) then would be all going again.