Marina charge going up 7% The Thieving B......

wheels

Guest Dry Reach
The "Average" kiwi does not own a yacht because the "average" kiwi does not want to own a yacht.

I am talking all forms of boating, from the Dad and his Kid in a Tinnie going for a fish, the Family waterkskiing/fishing on a trailer boat, the trailer sailors and right up to those of both wind and smoke blowed machines in the marinas. Boating of some kind is still the biggest recreational past time in NZ.

Sorry to burst your bubble wheels but boating is not even in the top 20 sports / Recreation activities anymore. Times have changed!

Even tramping and Aerobics has more numbers participating

Participation in sport and recreation, from the information gathered a list of popular activities was created. The ten most popular sport and recreational activities participated in over a 12 month period are ranked in the following order:

• Walking

• Gardening

• Cycling

• Swimming

• Equipment based exercise

• Fishing

• Jogging/running

• Snowsports

• Dance

• Golf

If you don't beieve me see the Sparc site!...

http://www.activenzsurvey.org.nz/Result ... ecreation/

See the Sparc site!... and now understand why i rant about the poor"backwards" performance of YNZ and why boatings demise is bigger than most here ever considered.

we used to be N0#1 15 years ago,

Squid if you want to make money start a Walking site!

Now "jog on!"

If sailing was more popular, there would be even more demand for Marina space.

The price would go up due to demand, driving even more of us out of boat ownership. :thumbdown:

We need to make it look less attractive to outsiders to keep the costs down.

Therefore male nudity, drunkeness, and lewd boorish behavior should be saluted as the solution to keeping the minority status of sailing as a recreation option.

Preferably all at the same time for maximum effect.

Keep up the good work, you all know who you are. :thumbup: :clap:

Totally flawed statistics. You can't judge by statistics. For instance, who was asked, which includes age, race, and location. What was the question/s and how were they presented.

If boating was deminishing, then why are Marinas expanding and numbers of boat ramps and the que's at them increasing. Why are there dozens of boat manufacturers pooping up like bean sprouts everywhere if people were not buying boats.

Guest Dry Reach

Sorry wheels but your grasping at straws,.

See the web site. thety are not flawed. sorry mate your presumption (as with most people) are flawed.

these stats are accurate and use membership and regsitration numbers as well as polls.

even if they were 50% wrong baoating still does not even get in the top 10.

Guest Dry Reach
If sailing was more popular, there would be even more demand for Marina space.

The price would go up due to demand, driving even more of us out of boat ownership. :thumbdown:

We need to make it look less attractive to outsiders to keep the costs down.

Therefore male nudity, drunkeness, and lewd boorish behavior should be saluted as the solution to keeping the minority status of sailing as a recreation option.

Preferably all at the same time for maximum effect.

Keep up the good work, you all know who you are. :thumbup: :clap:

nice try slacko but if there were more doing it then the price of marine goods would come down due to it being a more attaractive market with more volume sales and less cost.

Guest Dry Reach
I thought this topic was about Marina berthage costs.

They don't arrive on a boat from China like everything else.

it is!... more sailors means more berthing options!... but its a pity they are all owned by a cartel!

even if they were 50% wrong boating still does not even get in the top 10.

When I came to marlborough 20yrs ago, Waikawa was just a little marina. A few years later it went through it's first expansion to doubles it's size. Today It now has a waiting list and is in planning stages for another 250 berths and directly following that, a further 250 berths. Probably making it the biggest Marina in NZ or maybe second to Westhaven. Picton Marinahad a major increase in size a few years back ans has just undergone yet another major revamp and expansion and is now in phase two of that revamp/expansion.

Havelock doubled in size about a decade ago and two years ago added four new large concrete fingers and last year removed several old wooden ones and replaced with concrete and created a heap more spaces.

Go back 20yrs and count how many boat building names there were in NZ. Look at it today. Darn near every engineer with a garage builds some form of Ally boat. I know 4 Ally boat biulders here in Blenheim alone.

Guest Dry Reach
even if they were 50% wrong boating still does not even get in the top 10.

When I came to marlborough 20yrs ago, Waikawa was just a little marina. A few years later it went through it's first expansion to doubles it's size. Today It now has a waiting list and is in planning stages for another 250 berths and directly following that, a further 250 berths. Probably making it the biggest Marina in NZ or maybe second to Westhaven. Picton Marinahad a major increase in size a few years back ans has just undergone yet another major revamp and expansion and is now in phase two of that revamp/expansion.

Havelock doubled in size about a decade ago and two years ago added four new large concrete fingers and last year removed several old wooden ones and replaced with concrete and created a heap more spaces.

Go back 20yrs and count how many boat building names there were in NZ. Look at it today. Darn near every engineer with a garage builds some form of Ally boat. I know 4 Ally boat biulders here in Blenheim alone.

All that tells me Wheels is that there are more fizz boats (alloy) and mor gin palaces filling up more marina's.

Sure there are more boats! but there may be less people using them (per % of the population)

i bet there are 2 million tennis racquets in people cupboards gathering dust. that does not mean there are 2 million tenniss players. i bet 60% get active by walking, gardneing... (and yet rated themselves as walkers and not tennis players).

I bet there are 3million golf set nots being used this weekend too! by Gardners.

Guest Dry Reach
:wtf:

:roll: , By the way, waikawa has a long way to go before it beats westhaven, Gulf harbour, pine harbour,and maybe a few others.

How many yacht (production) builders in NZ?

:wtf:

:roll: , By the way, waikawa has a long way to go before it beats westhaven, Gulf harbour, pine harbour,and maybe a few others.

How many yacht (production) builders in NZ?

Waikawa - 600 berths + 400 dry stand / hard stand

Westhaven - approx 1800total (1433 marina berths

Gulf Harbour - 1033 berths

Pine Harbour - 555 berths + ???? dry stand / hard stand

According to the figures I have, Waikawa is the 3rd largest marina in NZ if count just marina berths and you exclude dry / hard stand, pile mooring etc. If taking all types of berths it is still the third largest.

Happy to be corrected on the above figures.

Guest Dry Reach

Its all go...

http://portmarlborough.co.nz/IM_Custom/ ... pdate1.pdf

Currently Waikawa has 600 "wet" berths and about 100 dry storage spaces for trailor boats plus some private hard stand capacity for "slipped vessels.

What is Taurangas two marina's capacity? i think it might be 561! for tauranga marina...

http://www.boaties.co.nz/marinas/bay-of ... ciety.html

and 500 for Bridge marina...

http://www.bridge-marina-travelift.co.nz/index.php option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=175

equalling = 1061 berths... right now.

Its all go...

equalling = 1061 berths... right now.

That is the total for the 2 marinas in different locations.

So....

If you look at Marlborough Sounds Marinas (which includes Waikawa) they have

The Marlborough Sounds Marinas comprise in excess of 1250 berths from 8 - 35m+ and we accommodate more than 400 additional vessels in boat sheds and storage compounds.

http://www.boaties.co.nz/marinas/marlbo ... ikawa.html

That's 3 marinas.

So either way you look at it Waikawa Marina is one of the largest in the country - currently, and due to get larger.

out of the top 10 largests marinas there are:

- 6 in Akl,

- 2 in Tauranga

- 1 in Marlborough

- 1 in Nelson

I found info on 40+ Marinas, and there are another 3 being planned and a number due to expand.

Green light? I would say more like Amber just at the mo. The proposed mooring field is up for public consultation right now and after that, they do one resource consent for the entire lot to shift and then the Resource consent can go ahead for the Marina expansion. So it should all shift from Amber to Green with no hickups hopfully. Of course, we only need one silly residant to upset the apple cart due to their little view of the water being disrupted or something.

Just out of interest, the Pelorus Boating club has something around 560 members.

Wheels, can you get a copy of the accounts for the Havelock marina - have a fossick through and see if the price rises are actually justified? See if their costs are actually increasing.

The outrageous thing about the Marlborough sounds is the cost of moorings down there. It's a serious breach of a free market when the organisation that issues mooring permits is also the organisation that profits from marina operations. I can see some similar problems heading our way in Auckland - where the council responsible for environmental regulation and those responsible for everyday operations are being combined under the same roof. Westhaven will be operated by the same organisation responsible for mooring permits. Fortunately we have some private operators up here to keep them honest.

The MBMA committee that Dawn is on is having a meeting with the big cheese of Port Marl. PM had promised no charge increases to the comittee, so the comittee are right royaly miffed that there could be.

And yes, they have the say in moorings. In fact, you can now no longer put down a mooring unless you are a Land owner in the Sounds. Waikawa moorings sell for $20K and we were offered one for rent last week at $120/mth. That is because they are very hard to come by.

We have our local body elections coming up and several that have put their names in the Hat have the cost of the Marinas and Boating as a target. One comes from earning a living from the Boat industry and he see's the bigger picture of what the industry earns the for the District. LikeI complained once before, we had several boats come into Havelock for the Winter and the Marina Charges were so high, they all left and went to Nelson. That was an entire Winter that 4 or 5 extra families could have been bringing income into the local community. That incident was brought up at the comittee with some big cheeses of PM (earlier days and I don't think are there now) and they just hoohaard it by saying they didn't know of a flotilla of boats coming into havelock and they didn't charge that much and complained I was just stirring. So I emailed one of the boats I got to know (they were then up in the Islands) and he replied with the exact story, the charges they were told for Havelock and what they were charged in Nelson and it was just as I stated.

Archived