Marina charge going up 7% The Thieving B......

wheels

I just found out something today that i am not supposed to know as of yet. Port Marlborough, The thieving varmints, are putting the costs of our wooden berths in Havelock up 7%. That's it for us. We can't stay in the marina. It is just too expensive for us. I am going to have to find a mooring or leave her on an anchor.

I wouldn't take it lying down. Form a group of rental strikers (like the Auckland rate payers did). Maybe pay the current amount promptly as a gesture of good faith but hold steadfast on any extra.

I think AC's point is that if you can rally around and get a good number of berth holders to not pay the extra bit, the marina can't afford to kick you all out. Afterall, there is a limited market for them to get revenue from as well.

We have formed a group called the Moorings and Berth holders association to be a voice for us all. But it seems it is not being listened to. In the end, what can we really do. We have no where to go. There is no competition and no moorings. The council, which owns Port Marlborough, will not allow any new moorings. As a result, moorings sell for $20K here, when they ever do come up for sale, which is rare.

So my choice is, go put a real big anchor down and wave my insurance, while I wait for a mooring to come up for rent. Take my boat to Nelson, 130Km away over the Hills.

Wheels, the council are unlikely to be worried about lower occupancy rates in the short term, especially if they believe demand exceeds supply. What they do have a tenancy to hate is bad press though, especially when getting close to election time.

On the other hand the local newspapers do like to print a good story. Why don't you enlist the support of a local reporter, maybe even writing a basic article for them to edit.

What I have heard you say to date could make a compelling story;

Council raises marina fee's during recession

Local marine industry under pressure - people can't afford to keep their boats

Council gouging on already profitable business

I'm sure you could be creative ....

How long since the last price hike Wheels?

It goes up Oct every year.

Last year they were very graicous not to put up the price for all bar the Havelock Marina. It went up 2% "due to the on going cost of dredging" which has never been done in the 6 years we have been in there and I think last time it was dredged was many years before that. We asked when we would expect it to be dredged and have had no reply. The first year in there, we had a 10% rise, the second year was an 8% rise and the third year was an 8% rise the fourth was 5% and then the 2%. The two or three years before we went in there, was over a 400% rise.

The annoying thing is that the Council say the Port Company is a private organisation, but they hide behind the fact that the Council is the Majority share holder and dictate to PM what the return for the year will be. One entire 1/3rd of the return to the council is made from the Marinas alone and the council want the return to be higher.

The annoying thing is that the Council say the Port Company is a private organisation, but they hide behind the fact that the Council is the Majority share holder and dictate to PM what the return for the year will be. One entire 1/3rd of the return to the council is made from the Marinas alone and the council want the return to be higher.

Welcome to the way the rest of the country works. Consider it a 'rich' tax used to subsidise the 'bludgers' in your territory so ensure their bins are cleared, paths (not) maintained, etc etc etc. To avoid riots they can't put up council rates fast enough to cover their ever increasing bureaucracy and (to be fair) inflating costs so they need to find money from elsewhere.

Guest Dry Reach

Yip. Spot on Scottie.

Because you have worked hard and saved your dosh you now have to subsidize every loser / dole bludger so that they can have the same level of "life' as the workers.

That 7% helps the losers get there bins emptied, their roads swept, and subsidizes their council houses.

Over here in USofA, you get three months of assistance and then its all up to yourself to find money. No family arse sistance, no DPB, no sickness benefit!... thats why they have money to go to war!

but you can sue peoples arse'e off and you can carry a gun to blow idiots away if thing get bad! :crazy:

Well........I am willing to pay something to keep people from living on the streets.But paying baby farmers to produce gang members.......thats just wrong.

I'm a fan of the DPB, I like it. But I think your payments should never go up from day 1. That would stop what you call "baby farming". To be on the DPB then get pregnant is all wrong. Hell I'd even support free condoms for anyone on the DPB.

Remember that we are talking local Gvt not Main Gvt, so marina charges don't go to welfare. Yes They do go toward the cost of rates. But this is getting stupid in costs. And it comes at the cost of average Kiwis being able to access their recreational environment. And surely that should be something council is actually all about.

Remember that we are talking local Gvt not Main Gvt, so marina charges don't go to welfare.

Don't you have local city councillors down there?

We do here and I can assure you they do fully fit the 'no hoper' template.

And it comes at the cost of average Kiwis being able to access their recreational environment. And surely that should be something council is actually all about.

Have to disagree with you on that one Wheels. While I understand your viewpoint, unfortunately if you own a boat and can infact put it in a marina berth then you are well above the average kiwi - when it comes to mean incomes anyway. And sadly that's the way the flash 'crats in the big glass towers view it. Far easier to tax you - you can't complain because the 'average' kiwi will think you're just a rich winger. Compare now to 20years ago when I left for Asia and its unbelievable - but just think what this place will be like in 20 years from now - f**kin' scary.

We are far from being above the average Kiwi and it is only going above the average Kiwi because charges are going up. They SHOULD NOT because they should stay within the realm of the average Kiwi. Auckland is fortunate in that you have alternatives. You have the choiuce of Marinas for a start. If you can not afford a Marina, you have the option of a Swing mooring. And many many take that option. That keeps the cost in the realm of the average boating Kiwi. If you can not afford to keep a permanantly in the water boat, then you have the option of trailering. Ranging from cheaper stoprage facilities down to simple a cheap lancu ramp facilities. So most Kiwis can enjoy boating. Here ion marlborough, the Ramps and parking are unbelievable. Trailer park storage are rediculous and then we get into the Marinas costs. And all because we here do not have any options at all. The whole lot are owned and opearted by Port Marlborough and PM are charged with returning a profit to the council, but not just a profit, MDC has actually stated what they expect as a return and becaue all other revenue is fixed, the only way revenue can be increased is by increasing charges of the Public boating facilities.

Guest Dry Reach

The "Average" kiwi does not own a yacht because the "average" kiwi does not want to own a yacht.

if you think small you will be small. Plus sailing is not as inviting as it used to be.

Lets face it the average kiwi these day is a totally different person than people in the 80's.

in the 80's there was a more wealthy "White" middle class from a "english" (sailing...)heritage than today. today we have poorer "working class" polynesian races and asian races that focus on other things like Smoking, Golf, fast cars, "red hair" and all the mod cons...

That is why the sport of sailing is diminishing! Our "target market" is greatly reduced and the English / european influence is diluted.

the stats tell us that the Asian invasion is all go! so you will have to get with them or "miss the boat"!

That is why i think the future (target market) of sailing in NZ will be with "middle class white hard workers" for keel boats up to $150K and polynesians / asians for dingy classes. Unless of course a certain governing body (who every time i mention their name my post gets deleted) activley promotes the sport to others. (let alone all kiwi's no matter what race or creed)

\Besides a few young and keen lads like J HArkin, how many Gen Y "white" kids can you see working hard and owning a keel boat in 5-ten years (other than the spoilt "5 minute" kids who might be given one from mummy and daddy)

and... Wheels is right. there are many older hard working middle class people with nice boats that they worked their arses off to own. And they pay taxes too! yet they are subsidising the losers who get the same level of service from there rates yet use the dole / DPB / SB to pay for it!

Aye AA :wink: :lol:

The "Average" kiwi does not own a yacht because the "average" kiwi does not want to own a yacht.

I am talking all forms of boating, from the Dad and his Kid in a Tinnie going for a fish, the Family waterkskiing/fishing on a trailer boat, the trailer sailors and right up to those of both wind and smoke blowed machines in the marinas. Boating of some kind is still the biggest recreational past time in NZ.

Archived