West harbour marina

Have been asked to help move a friends boat out of the marina at West harbour and have in the back of my mind that ive heard there might be draft issues getting in and out of there as the entrance silts up?

Does anyone know how deep the main Chanel in and out is? We'll draw about 6 feet, and will probably aim for a highish state of tide, so presumably will have plenty, but it would be good to check with someone who knows.

It was dredged a couple of years back so should be ok. The most shallow spot is where Henderson creek meets the channel, and there is a bump just outside the marina entrance. As long as you are 2 hrs either side of low tide you will be ok

You'll be fine.

I draw 7'3 and regularly come and go at close to low tide without much trouble. I occasionally have to push my way through a lump of soft slurry but that's at the bottom of a low tide.

The marina management has changed recently and there's been a lot of investment made bringing the whole place up to a better standard ie dredging, increasing the height of the breakwater, landscaping, security etc etc.

I've been pleasantly surprised at the improvements since the old (bean counter) management sold out to the new crew. The place is on the up.

BTW. The name has changed from Westpark to Hobsonville Marina.

40 Years ago this country changed to metric. Your boats were most likely dimensioned at build in metric. Your depth sounder has metres on it. The charts are in metric. Time to change I'd suggest!

• Upvote 1