oil filter socket wrenches

hi all, i love oil filter socket wrenches 

41jFG79cD-L._SY300_.jpg

and hate with a passion

all the other crappy types that assume you have acres of space 

and nothing else sticking out of your engine

unfortunately in nz they are not that easy or cheap to buy individually and if i don't want another battle on my hands next year i'm going to have to buy a 14 sided 68mm wrench for the ryco Z411 filters that fit my engine 

so am thinking of buying a monster set containing

65mm 14 / 1            already have and using on wife's nissan and RX7
65-67mm 14 / 2 
66mm 6 / 1 
68mm 14 / 1            possibly what is needed for Z411+ craftsman fuel filter
73mm 14 / 1 
74mm 15 / 1 
74-76mm 15 / 2 
75-77mm 15 / 2 
76mm 8 / 1 
76mm 12 / 1 
76mm 14 / 1             already have and using on old bmw, inc k bike
76mm 30 / 1 
78mm15 / 1 
80mm 15 / 1 
80-82mm 15 / 2 
86mm 16 / 1 
86mm 18 / 1 
90mm 15 / 1 
92mm 10 / 1 
93mm 15 / 1 

Shipping-Method-Optional-1-set-30pc-font

i'll probably never use most of the others so if anyone in auckland wants to buy any of them off me for $10 (hopefully if i ever do need any that sell you'll let me borrow it)

pm if interested

I've made a few for myself and friends.

Get 150mm of 25mm square steel box section, cut a slot 30mm long in one side down from the end,insert a loop of 30mm nylon or polyester webbing, ends inside the box section and secure with a couple of rivets or self tappers and that's it. To use, put the webbing loop over the filter and wind up the box section. When it's tight put a crescent on the box section and unscrew the filter. Never fails and one size fits all. With a little polite asking from your local engineering shop and canvas worker for offcuts, it won't cost you anything, either!

A couple of pictures, and a couple of points.

The webbing is 50mm. You really need this width to get sufficient friction on the filter.

The box section needs to be 2.6mm -3.0mm in thickness. Any less and the box section is liable to distort when you apply leverage with the crescent.

And I don't really use a baked bean tin for a filter.

SV300002.JPG

SV300001.JPG

Thanks Chris. Awesome! In his older years when my dad wanted to test the honesty of a mechanic, he'd make a tiny mark on the oil filter. He'd later ask the mechanic if he'd done as paid for and put in a new filter with the oil change (rather than wipe and polish the old one without touching it). If the mark was still there, dad would have words to say. Later on the govt, then in NSW, changed the law so that if there was any dispute with a "registered mechanic" or whatever the legal word was, they could keep your car until the dispute was sorted. Charming, as I found out after a mechanic stuffed a gear box job on my car.

While on Oil filters. Does everyone know how to tighten a filer properly? I was trying to argue this with an actual Mechanic one day. He told me I was wrong and I was able to find the information on my Filter carton and showed him.
Simple, but few don't know.
Make sure you lub the seal with clean oil. Don't use old, because that stuff will set like glue. After tightening the filter firmly by hand, you back it back off again by an 1/8 of a turn. This takes the stretch out of the rubber seal, allowing a better seal and will also allow much easier removal next time.

Now if only Car makers would stop putting cross members directly under the filter. :roll:

Wheels, years ago I owned an Audi A8 with the W12 motor. I believe that you needed a post graduate degree in both Audi maintenance, and contortionisim (sp?) to change the filters on that thing.

Unfortunately you also needed unlimited funding to own one as it made my prior Jaguar look very reliable. I also found that over a bit of time, it became a very bland and boring vehicle to drive. Didn't keep it long. 

as per chrisc's recipe 

have made a mk1 oil filter strap wrench

strap wrench.jpg

as the table leg 25mm box section is not as thick as chris recommends

and the tube may collapse under tension, did without the slot and riveted directly on to the iron

if the strap tears of the rivets have plenty more strap + box for a mk2

now to test it out by slightly backing off the recently installed oil filter, as per wheels

and removing the engine mounted fuel filter

crafts back.jpg

you can see how little space there is around either filter for most wrenches

I have a filter that lies on its side because it was designed by Barstards International.

Therefore it leaks oil everywhere every change , every time . Therefore the hammer the screwdriver through the filter to make a handle method works just as well if not better than any.

With some pre planning , one smacks the first hole nice and low and lets some oil drain out ' for a while' before continuing the removal process.

The oil dripping doesn't matter anyway, I know damn well I'll drop the whole schmeer on the way to the bucket anyway.