Quite enjoyable talk by Steve Cockerill

It's still part of the RYA dinghy instructor training. We had to sail rudderless around a triangular course, which meant tacking up the beat, reaching out to the wing mark, gybing, reaching back in to the finish. Some guys really struggled with it - not sure why, in a boat like a Wayfarer (which we were using) it's incredibly easy. Pretty easy in a sunburst too.

It's bleedin hard in a laser, that little trim tab hanging off the back really does make a big difference. 

I haven't watched the vid yet, but I know Steve does some great stuff. He's probably the fastest dinghy sailor ever downwind in a blow. Getting to grips with his idea of turning the "wrong" way when rolling on a windy run took a quite a while to get my head around. I'm still not convinced it's safer than the alternative "keep the hull under the rig" method, but it does seem faster. Unfortunately when I tried it again recently, the body couldn't keep pace with the brain!

We sailed our 14 skiff back across the lake last year without a tiller. The rudder was still there, and I tried to chock it with my hand gripped to the top of the blade, but it basically just flapped around however it liked. 

About 2 miles of concerted crew and sail balancing, saw us eventually back at the dock. 

This year I might intentionally see how well we can maneuver sans rudder.