Nose job

After a lot of character building following the Jav being blown across the yacht club tarmac things are back on track for being back on the water by the start of next summer.

The cost of bow fittings for a stayed prod was terrifying so I've gone unstayed (maybe a bob-stay).

This is boat number two that I've done up and this part has been the most fun I've had.

P4270849 (800x534).jpgP4270851 (534x800).jpgP4270852 (534x800).jpg

Nothing like a large prod to loosen the bowels.................I mean.................umm...............in the context of a pole on the front of a boat.............not a literal loosening.............ah forget it.

The black carbon tube is the outer sleeve that goes from bow stem back to the bulkhead in the third photo. The white tube is the lower section of a 49er mast and will eventually just slide in the sleeve and butt up against a stop at the bulkhead end of the sleeve. The prod won't be retractable but should be easy to install and not get the kite tangled as I found with stays.

because triangle is weaker, weight-for-weight?

just thinking that with tube unstayed,once you get a slight bend in it,easy enough to kink but then again  vessels been using tubes for years,guess that's why mast is not triangular :wtf:

Problem is loads on a prod are not 2 dimensional or in a single plane, they are up, and across, so the load is all over the place, sort of the same with a mast. But the Round Tube handles the load on all quadrents equally as well.

It would be easier to kink a triangle if the bending point was on the flat portion...

• Upvote 1

Anyone have any advice regarding carbon layup at the bow? I figure I'm going to have to use multiple small pieces that overlap one another as the shape is quite complex.

I see two finctions that need to be accounted for. the first is to make sure the black tube stays put (mainly compression load?) and the second to tie the bow area together during large lifting and lateral loads when the kite is up.

Also, is this https://www.fibreglassshop.co.nz/ where everyone gets their carbon from?

If you're ordering small amounts then your local is as good as anywhere. However the good folk at Gurit (previously High Modulus) are happy to help and often have access to some pretty sofisticated carbon weaves if needed as well as a massive wealth of knowledge.

For a lot of my general f/glassing and laminating needs I use www.nzfibreglass.co.nz but primarily because they're 5 mins from the workshop/ house!

Of course in this day and age you can just order from amywhere in the world. The tillers on my old boat (now madyachties) are made from some pretty cool US imported carbon sock over carbon unis, hand lamented and then compressed using heat shrink tubing all over foam pipe lagging (from peacemakers) - just because you can - and that was some 12 years ago!

If you're ordering small amounts then your local is as good as anywhere. However the good folk at Gurit (previously High Modulus) are happy to help and often have access to some pretty sofisticated carbon weaves if needed as well as a massive wealth of knowledge.

For a lot of my general f/glassing and laminating needs I use www.nzfibreglass.co.nz but primarily because they're 5 mins from the workshop/ house!

Of course in this day and age you can just order from amywhere in the world. The tillers on my old boat (now madyachties) are made from some pretty cool US imported carbon sock over carbon unis, hand lamented and then compressed using heat shrink tubing all over foam pipe lagging (from peacemakers) - just because you can - and that was some 12 years ago! And I'm just an amateur dabbler!