Spinnaker snuffer wanted

Hi folks,

I need a spinnaker snuffer (or two) for a kite with approx 18.5m luff. Before I buy a new one I thought I would see if anyone has one sitting unused in the garage. Happy to look at anything you have either larger or smaller too.

Send me a PM if you have one that you want to sell.

Thanks,

Hamish

Hamish I have one in my shed that we tried on the Beale for RNZ but found it caused as many f ups as it saved so we went back to letterbox drops which with practice we got really good at, but the sock was probably operator error.

When are you up next as I could leave it on your boat for you to try if you like.

Jon

In my experience the only ones that work properly are the ATN ones, or copies of. They have a fibreglass oval feeder at the base, and the control lines are in a separate sleeve. It's useful if that sleeve is a different colour to the main sock, then it's easy to see if there are twists when hoisting. I have 2, one genuine ATN,the other a copy. Jennaker in one, kite in the other. Great when single or short handed, but slower than normal kite handling with a competent crew

Hamish I have one in my shed that we tried on the Beale for RNZ but found it caused as many f ups as it saved so we went back to letterbox drops which with practice we got really good at, but the sock was probably operator error.

When are you up next as I could leave it on your boat for you to try if you like.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I'll probably be up again at the end of the month so I'll get in touch when I'm planning to head North.

I've only uses a snuffer a couple of times and it seemed to work ok if we were organised. The new boat is setup for dip pole gybes so being up able to drop the sock while gybing is also part of the plan. Lots of potential for elaborate cock ups there!

The ATN's have a swivel at the top, inside the sock. I have not taken my Kite of Jennaker out of the sock for years, without issue. he key is to make sure that the hoisting line pocket is straight, and then any twists in the sail come out by themselves once the sock is lifted :-)

After a bit of googling it seems that the ATN ones are highly regarded. The one I got from Dave was made by Doyles and seems similar in construction to the ATN. Thanks for the feedback folks!