Identify this Stillwater boat please....

John B

ps SJB is a different guy from JB , he's smarter and probably a lot better looking than moi.

Totally different people.

John B talks about old things like boats etc, while SJB is just old. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ps Which one is the smarter one????

Certainly the Mast is a later add on. But I am also thinking the cabin top may well be also. I think the original is the Hull only. It has similar lines to Herreshoff.

I am really scratching my head but i am sure I have seen another of these here in Picton at some time. No idea if it was pasing through or was/is based here or if I am completely dreaming the entire thing, which is highly possible.

Yvonne used to be moored in Picton.... her hull is a similar shape and age .She's down in Christchurch now I think.

Yvonne is like Moana, Tucana, Tusitala/ Peri, Rarere, Kotiri.. all have a plank added to their sheerlines . Some of those also having your classic '50's/ 60's Takiri/ Patiki style cabin and doghouse arrangement added and some have their counters docked so they have more of a transom now rather than their original counter sterns.. All that disguises the original hull somewhat of course.

all the Cox designs I'm aware of are more circa 1940's or so . They tend to have a fairly pronounced spoon bow and shortish counter so I imagine this boat to be much older... say 1892 through 5 design period and maybe built retro styled out to the first world war say.

Yvonne was in the river in Christchurch for a while, then I saw her on the hard at Lyttleton about a year ago. Don't know where she is now.

I saw in the yard at the same time a very small gaffer named Miro. Very cool.

Going for a sail on Galatea next weekend, which is usually eventful. :)

Haha, If Michael was involved it is guaranteed to be be hairy. I'll ask him on the weekend. Is that when they pumped almost continuously for 3 weeks or something. :D

It appears to try to sink quite regularly. I had to call him a couple of years ago after rowing past and she was going down by the bow. We were knee deep in water with buckets.

Good to hear Doubledark.

Miro is a smallish Bailey from about that 1900/1910 period and she's one of those boats that had a plank added to the sheer, counter docked and big cabin added sometime in the 60's or so.. she was moored in Okahu bay all through the '80s but was bought and taken to a shed in Onehunga sometime in the 90's maybe. Over a number of years the boat was worked on and the cabin and extra freeboard removed, the counter added back on and she was skinned with an extra layer too IIRC. The owner and her moved to Havelock for a lifestyle change which only lasted a year or three and when he came back ,the boat stayed in the S.I. She was bought and the restoration completed in Christchurch ( again, IIRC) .

Incidentally , if anyone knows where Rarere or Tusi tala has got to , I'd like to know( again just for curiosity's sake)

Rarere is about 38 ft .. looks a bit like a Takiri in general style and cabin and I haven't seen her around since the 1990's. She's an early 1890's Robert Logan senior ( with the sheer plank and big cabin added.)

Tusi Tala is also a B class( a 2 1/2 rater originally??) a bit smaller at say 32 ft now with her counter docked and the plank and cabin added. She used to be moored off Birkinhead / Chelsea way and I've heard she might be up harbour further now.. Hobsonville? She looks a bit like a cross between a Val boat and a bit of H28 added ( rudder inboard though)

Archived