Winch pawls

So Ive got the VB out of the water doing annual maintenance and thought I would strip the headsail winches and give them a clean out and find why they were clunky to operate - turns out they were full of old hardened grease and were both missing one pawl.

So question is now - where does one get pawls and springs for a Masport Barlow 28?

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

We've just stripped  some Harken winches on the boat my son looks after. I am certain that the springs are the same as my wilkies and if the pawl turned out the same as well I would not be surprised.

Anyway , you can get the springs from Fosters.

Bill / ScottiE: If your still getting an order together I have 4 Barlow 27-46's that I believe also take the same pawls (hutton #01-400). I've installed my last spare and would be keen to get another set as well if the chance exists.  rob

Pawls seem to be pretty universal.  Check ANY old winch.  I have three different brands and the pawls interchange between all three.  I think one is Brit, one Aussie, the other 'Merican.  Sorry to say, but the Merican one is the best I have.  Stainless body, bronze workings.  Damn fine build quality too.    Universal brand.  (I think they're Merican.)

Pawls are a standard "tool" rather like Woodruff Keys.  They are difficult to machine so manufacturers are better off on their bottom line to just order them en-masse rather than machining their own.

Springs vary, but all work the same if the pawls are the same.

from the pics

Vorpal's pawls look 17.5mm long x 12mm wide

fyi

the pawls in an old lewmar 55 also seem to be 17mm long x 12mm wide

sailor's corner at westhaven have 6 "lewmar large" pawls in a winch service kit with springs for $50

fosters have harken winch service kits with pawls but they looked a little smaller...

Lewmar standard pawl (up to 50st winch or so usually) 16.4mm long, 12.5mm wide, 7.8mm deep (the fat round bit)

Lewmar large pawl (over 50st) 16.6mm long, 12.5mm wide, 9.2mm deep

Dimensions taken with plastic calipers, usually sell for round the $5 mark each

Hope that helps

thanks for that SWOC

the sailor's corner Large Lewmar kit did seem a little fatter in the round

so maybe we need the standard?, which they were out of stock...

as far as i can make out the winch is a wave-grip 55ST(self-tailing) dual speed 1983-1991 

gallery_1988_51_734942.jpg

apparently we have spares, so once found, will try those before anything else

gallery_1988_51_406217.jpg