Cheap Solar panels

Tuners Auctions are selling lots and lots of Panel cheap. All started as $1 auctions.
The only issue is that it is Auckland and for some silly reason, Turners state buyers must pick up. I reckon Turners would get btter prices for stuff if the would freight. But anyway.
So if you can't make it to Auckland to pick up, maybe someone could arrange to be a freight forwarder for a bit of remuneration.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/stores/turnersauckland?cid=10

smoke is an extremely fine dust of mainly carbon

once it settles on stuff it can be very hard to wipe it all off and make things look "brand new" again

have not heard of solar panels specifically wired for marine enviroments

presumably that would mean tinned wire?

which i haven't seen on 4 solar panels on boats 

they are already pretty well weather sealed 

Solar Panels are well sealed and waterpoof. They should also have been in boxes, so smoke would be smell rather than actual smoke. Just not acceptable for full and normal retail I guess. Although you would think the owner could have had a " fire sale" and made more than I would expect an insurer to pay out.
There are no such "Marine" panels. They are all made for the same outdoor environment and suitable for Marine environment.

At the home show I enquired about a suppliers brand being suitable for marine use and was told that particular brand wasn't recommended so I assumed there may be a difference - possibly with the sealing of the connectors but maybe that person didn't really know ?!

There are also some Batteries going cheap on Trademe. A large number, pulled from a communications install that apparently also had some kind of problem and is under insurance claim. I don't know of the name, but they could well be a good Battery. Apparently over $900 new and they are listed at around the $160'ish mark.
If you can't find them, let me know and I will find the link again.

interesting - here's some additional info - does this stack up as a house bat for a boat?

http://www.innovative.co.nz/pdf/RA12-150F.pdf

also here's someone selling them at a slightly better price than quoted

http://www.recell.co.nz/ritar/ra12-150F.html

also at 45kg seems a little heavy at 3.33AH/kg compared to say the swindlery Endurant 125Ah = 4.63 AH/kg

That link I sent Wheels is v interesting -especially for anyone considering putting Solar into their home because it is an affordable solution for a battery system with Lipo4 capabilities but not the cost which at this stage Lipo4 is still too expensive for a home set up . shame about the weight for the marine application tho since you would need a smaller bank it would still save weight overall -just not the same weight saving as Lipo4.

sorry - didn't explain that very well - Recell sell them at 498inc. GST whereas the trademe seller reckons they cost $959 elsewhere.

Yep understood your first post. My "slightly cheaper :wtf: " was because I reckon the difference between 959 and 498 is a tad more than "sightly"  ;-) 

There are a couple of big problems with Nicad. Well actually the two problems are intertwined. It's called Memory Effect. NiCad grows crystals within the cell as it discharges. These Crystals are not easy to get rid of and eventually they grow right across the cell and short it out. As the Crystals grow, the Cell capacity diminishes. To get reduce these Crystals the cell must be fully discharged at a slow rate of discharge. And I mean slowly and fully. As flat as you can possible make the battery. And then you have to fully charge again.
Similar to NiMh, you need a specific and special to NiCad charger and cell V is 1.2V and will remain at 1.2V till discharged.