difficult cold canadian rescue solo sailor

Canadians of all shapes and sizes are great at offering assistance to mariners in distress. 

It's unfortunate that the gent in this case was where he should not have been - most Nova Scotians well know to not be out there in 50 kts plus, not to mention the water temp. 

If we ever sit down for a pint I'll tell you the story of how three Pelee Island (Ontario, CA) kids saved a mates cruising sloop. 

Good story why didn't they try to head the yacht to calmer waters , , sail it , sounds like the skipper was over come , or tow it maby. Good story makes you wonder , how good is my boat , is it strong enough What would it be like in these conditions on my own , I would be ok iam sure as Long as the wet gear is good and it can handle the weather , I have been caught in 60 kts up the bum two up and both could steer well so reducing sail was a breeze , we found zig zagging was the best way to steer and keeped us dry and the boat moving fast , no headsail, two deep reefs and she was going wild , but for how long can they handle it , that's the question ,