Anchor Swviels - Wasi Powerball anyone?

Anyone ever used one of these?  The way it is put together is supposed to avoid side-loads that the more common (and cheaper) swivels can introduce. The advertising blurb is as follows:

"The full swivel ball and socket design permits 360˚  swivel action and 30˚ side-to-side. It is considerably stronger than the matching chain and is also certified by German Lloyd’s. Thus providing no more weak link in your ground tackle.

The Power Ball easily passes through anchor rollers and is made from AISI 316 Stainless Steel.  Making the Power Ball rust-free and will last the lifetime of your vessel. The Power Ball has patented locking screws to prevent the accidental unscrewing of the primary connecting bolts and is also a practical anti-theft feature of your anchor".

Wasi.PNG

KM did forget to mention one of our rules of thumb. The less "bits" you have in the Anchor system, the less chance you have of something failing. Only add a component, like a swivel, if you really need it.
Too many boaties add "bling" because they think they need all the crap.
And also as KM said, a straightener is probably the better thing to use rather than a swivel.

By the way, I have always wondered just how well that Wazi would work when it is buried in sand/mud and under tension and needs to swivel. I reckon it would bind up pretty well with the grit.

If you are worried re side loads on the swivel 3 to 5 links of chain between the anchor and the swivel will remove that issue. It does mean another shackle, but if you use the recommended ones that Knotme supplies it shouldn't cause you any grief.

Great stuff Knot Me.  Question my reason for using a swivel is that a shackle is too wide to fit through the anchor fairlead and jams when coming up.  Also the anchor does not spin and mount nicely on the anchor rollers.  Are their any low profile shackles available to use instead of a swivel?  Might be a dum question but the las swivel I replaced had bent quite a bit so I'm nervous and would rather use a shackle if I could.