ISS flies over tonight

The International Space Station is directly over NZ tonight at 9.39PM.
Hopefully it is clear skies for where ever you are are. It's not often we get a heads up it is coming and the last time it flew over us was back in September.

Down load the free app, Sky view. Shows planets, constellations huble and the ISS.

Just point phone up, aim at something bright and it tells you what it is, The kids love it (and the big kids)

We watched it go over awhile ago, the app is about 15mins behind, but it shows the trajectory aswell so is easy to find the bright star like heap of space station moving across the sky.

xmas eve thought it was iss at 10.00pm very bright in the west,turned out to be according to phones sky map venus

Hhehe, yeah the difference is, the ISS moves.

As for the rest of you, I don't think what you saw was the ISS. Firstly, it moves fast. I think from memory, it covers the sky in something like 7seconds. Secondly, it is not on an orbit that takes it over the same flight path each time it circles. So hence the last time it went over NZ, was last September. So if you think you saw it Christmas eve or any other time other than 9.39 last night, you likely saw some other Satellite. Or a Plane. Or maybe....a UFO ;-)

That app sounds like a great thing to have. If one had a smart phone that is.

Haha wasn't a UFO, the government doesn't fly them over Xmas holidays...

When we saw it last time it was moving pretty quick, not 7secinds quick, took around 4-5mins to go over, and you can see it over a few days. At that speed it gets a few laps in before its orbit changes enough to leave our skies.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=New_Zealand&region=None&city=Christchurch#.WGFdd-vXerU

The ISS passes over NZ airspace quite often. 

It orbits at around 410km altitude and travels at about 27,500km/h.

I have Astroviewer on my phone and check it when I think of it. You get a view for about 30 seconds to a minute depending on where it is, and it can be pretty hard to spot, especially if you're in an area with a lot of light pollution. Really it just looks like any other high flying fast plane.

As mentioned earlier, it follows a pretty weird orbit pattern, weaving it's way up and down the planet.

It orbits at around 410km altitude and travels at about 27,500km/h.

So just out of my stone throwing reach then. Maybe if I use a slingshot.

What about a green laser? I wonder if they would see one pointed at them?I wonder how much trouble one could get themselves in if they did ;-)

Can't wait to see it on the 32nd of January

Classic! Didn't even notice that,

It falls on a week day too, urrgggghh, work enough days as it is,now they make another workday! might ask the boss for a day off on the 32nd, sure he will be ok with it?

Dam NASA what next? Make an hour 70 mins?...