Sailing with pooch

We have a wee dog that we've started to take away on the boat. When he's on board it's mostly overnights around and about Waiheke or Rakino as there's no issues with him going ashore etc. (note we clear up after him and leave no mess!). Quite rightly most of the gulf islands  are off limits and I totally understand why but does any one else have any ideas for dog friendly destinations? I presume most of Kawau is off limits but what about around the KIYC etc? 

Thoughts anyone? 

I've been quietly getting on top of this but its a mind f*ck.  Essentially there's an extremely poorly put together coucil policy . . .

http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/licencesregulations/Bylaws/Documents/dogpolicy.pdf

which for Kawau refers to DOC requirements that are on specific maps but no actual cross reference.  Research DOC website and you can't find the f&^#(n maps - but you can get to their viewer which also does not cross reference the maps referred to in the dog policy.

However as far as I can tell you are allowed dogs on private land on Kawau and they are only not permitted in the managed reserve areas - green on the map in the following brochure.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/parks-and-recreation/places-to-visit/auckland/kawau-island-historic-reserve-brochure.pdf

A typical bearucratic half job - I don't know how these people can do such a poor effort in this stuff - Kevin?

• Upvote 1

We just say "stuff 'em" and take the Dog ashore, unless there is a really good reason. Keep her on the lead and clean up after her. Where's the harm? Why are they banned from so many islands? As long as they are on a lead, I can't see a problem. Bloody Doc. Total kill joys.

• Upvote 1

I ignore DOC. Like I say, as long as they are on a lead.. DOC are not nice. We anchored in the cove at Arid island for a night and spoke with the ex owners (lovely people). There is a horse there with a massive abscess on its jaw. They had been trying to get DOC to put it down for months. No action. DOC also say the island is Pest free. Try telling the other half when a massive Rat ran in front of her walking down the track!! Again, no dogs. Seems to be a DOC standard. Cats I can understand, but Dogs on a lead? WTF?

DOC and their rangers are between a rock and a hard place. We have one govt department pushing "100%Pure" to the world and another saying its acceptable for rivers to be "wadeable" (whatever the f#@k that is) We as boaties love these islands because of the environment, the bird life, and the access, that is frankly spectacular! We love the bird life yet some bloodly idiots let their dogs run free chasing nesting sea birds and/or letting them sh*t everywhere making the beaches just about unusable for people wanting to swim. So if you are a respondable dog owner make it YOUR respondiblity to educate the people who are not and stop blaming the employees of an under funded organisation who are just trying to make your country a place you love to call home. L

• Upvote 1

*cough* we ignore it DOC too, There's never any signs up where we land or the ones that are are damaged to hell. Dog's stay on a lead and we clean up after them. Up in the BoI at the moment we walk them around town again on a lead despite there being some sort of ban around here.

I think alot of it depends on the dog's and owner's, Our 2 little dachshunds on leads with nice people on the other end wouldn't cause a stir but others might

DOC can't manage the land that they have now, yet they continually seek to add acreage to the conservation estate. Why? And why, as soon as they have aquired some new piece of dirt to administer, the first thing they do is release a kiwi on it which then of course is immediately followed by the 'No Dogs' signs.

I like kiwi as much as the next man, (especially sauteed in a little white wine sauce) but do they really have to try and establish these birds everywhere?

Most dog owners I know are responsible people. Their animals are under control via voice or leash, and they pick up after them.

Most cat owners aren't responsible people. I've never heard of one picking up after their animal, and they generally shove them out at night telling themselves that their darling little moggie would never harm a native bird.

Yet dog owners are victimised and get all the bad press.

And while I'm at it, my dog is walked on the beach. Sometimes she'll dig a bit of a hole and do a poo, which is collected. People on the beach leave all manner of crap all over it - cans, broken bottles, food wrappers, condoms, you name it.

So the logical response is let dogs have free reign of the beaches and ban people.

A few days ago we were at Sullivan's Bay in the Mahurangi.

Members may know that dogs are prohibited on the beach but allowed on the ARC reserve land behind it. So we landed on the beach with the dinghy and carried the dog across to beach to the reserve. (She's only 9kg). On the few metres between reserve and surf we were accosted by the ranger who objected to the dog being, in his opinion, on the beach. The dog being carried just didn't do it for him. My wife wanted clarification and proposed that a dog may cross the beach in a low flying helicopter,so for future reference, what did the ranger consider that the minimum altitude might be, perhaps if I were to hold the dog up over my head?

Well he walked off in a bit of a huff, but clearly there needs to be a bit of common sense clarity brought to bear considering that more and more boaties choose to take their dogs along.

Recent dog story: the names have been changed to protect the ....

Friends came over to visit our boat with their wee doggy. We have a dog too but don't take it with us so were keen to see how it reacted to the boat.

The wa was delighted in the way It trotted over our boat, down all the little nooks and crannies. We were assured it was boat trained until what seemed like it making a bed in my mates bunk was it actually making a toilet out of his sleeping bag.

Question answered.