Shoalcraft?

Hi all, Not sure if this is the right place for this question so please move it if necessary. I'm in the process of moving back to NZ and I'm looking at getting back out on the water for some cruising. I spent years sailing a Townson 32 which was a great boat to sail, very forgiving and handled pretty much anything needed from it. I've spent the more recent years on the dark side enjoying the shallow draft of launch which has led me to think about a shallow draft yacht for gunkholing. I have come across some Shoalcraft in my online searches but I know nothing about them and can't seem to find any real information. Anybody with any knowledge of them that can tell me about them, what they sail like, what conditions can they handle and anything I should be aware of and what's the headroom like? Also, wondering if it could cope with bluewater sailing if the desire struck me?

A friend had one and with good sails it went really well in the club racing fleet

Most are only cruised so the sails are to match but well sailed with good rags you want be disappointed, faster than a T32 I'd say, plus heaps of room and a decent motor

They were mostly home built so quality will vary but for a cruiser of that size they would be hard to beat

Offshore ? It would depend on the boat and crew but plenty sail worse around the world.

Many modern examples in alloy out of France Alubat, Ovni, etc. Older versions Trismus, Via, etc. some haveone board, some have two. Average CBoard up, draft 1m, Down 1.8 +. all are ocean cruisers and gunk holers par excelance. I'm slightly biased as I have a "Trismus". Prior to my ownership it has been in the Arctic, Hawaii, Alaska, French Polynesia. Will go to reasonably to windward with a little coaxing.

Thanks for the replies so far. It sounds like the Shoalcraft is worth considering. 

Kevin, I was just reading that Cruisers thread and I'd be keen to hear Steve's comment.

Steve, those French yachts look interesting. 

The examples I gave are hull ballasted, the Ovni and the Alubat also have weight in the CB, both the Trismus and the Via are hull ballasted but have 2 x in line plate CB's. Plus there is 400l of water tank immediately above the ballast, and 250l fuel tank at the same level. Of course if the were empty they wouldn't come into the calculation. Using only the aft board makes down wind sailing a dream.

Kevin, I have not heard of any of the above being capsized, one of the theories of shallow draft is that they slip sideways rather than trip over the keel in threatening conditions. I would expect that my Trismus would recover well as it is possible in inclement weather to seal the weather deck almost 100% and with 3 plus tonnes of keel ballast i feel it would be rather like one of those Russian dolls that stand up no matter what you do. On offshore passages I have never had reason not to have confidence in her.