Check these Pics out!

Wow, there are some cool boats over there. I didn't realize there was more than one team playing around with the biplane rig.

I reckon these guys have got the right attitude to join the 8.5 fleet - man that's some sail area!

8.5 Inspired..JPG

I had a friend who did it.  One of those twin rig cats won apparently.

His report - 

in the end, the wind was variable

No wind at the start, then some weak northerly, then 5 hours completely still at the second buoy. After this, a proper easterly all the way to the end and back. One more wait in light airs before we crossed back to the eastern basin, and some good NWly for a proper sprint finish.

All this is nicely visible on Strava!

The winner took 10 hours, we got there in 35. Almost all boats had spinnakers or gennakers, we did not. We sailed all through the night directly downwind with a poled out genoa, held by hand using the boathook extended with a broomstick. It was quite an effort in the strengthening wind…

nice report!  Boathook extended with a broomstick - really? Surely both are unnecessary in a light airs race!

Also - that GPS track certainly redefines uphill sailing!

uphill sailing.PNG

awesome .

Seems accessible to all without massive $ backing. Wouldn't it be cool to see some backyard genius do something really out there and win it? Surely

that's a way of making the everyday guy interested.

nice report!  Boathook extended with a broomstick - really? Surely both are unnecessary in a light airs race!

Also - that GPS track certainly redefines uphill sailing!

The first thing I noticed was the elevation gain.  Must have been changes in the barometric pressure?