Mana to Marlborough - first crossing

Hi all, after some advice re crossing the strait to Marlborough from Mana. Have a solid 26ft Keeler thats made plenty of crossings previously, I've been doing some racing and plenty of day sailing out to Mana island etc. and wanting to get across to Marlborough this summer for some cruising fun.

Any advice from the seasoned sailors out there around how to pick the weather windows and what kind of conditions I should be looking out for? Whats the deal with tidal flow both going across, and coming into Queen Charlotte sound? Am I correct in thinking you want to be entering Queen Charlotte Sound at slack water? From a navigation perspective is the idea aim high  to counter the tide and reach the whole way across?

There seems to be two schools of thought around - one being don't over think it, just go, and the other being its a gnarly stretch of water and have the rescue chopper and epirb on standby. I figure its probably somewhere in between - I want to be prepared if it gets messy, but equally I just won't go if the weather isn't looking great.

Finally when I get there where would you suggest a good option for overnighting that is reasonably close, and sheltered? I have a club membership for all the club owned moorings etc. Is over first thing one morning and then back the following day realistic?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

OK, you might want to go with the MCC the first time. Ive done this trip 100s of times. Used to take the kids across for weekends often, on a Friday after work. We used to go if the forecast was OK, and it was 35 or less at the Brothers. Check the wind conditions there on the coastguard app before leaving. It's a bit of water that deserves respect, or it will show you who's really in charge!

Tides: I was always more interested in the hight over the mana bar than the tides in the Strait. In the front of the cruising guide there is a good set of diagrams showing you the flows and directions.

If the tide is going nw, then it lifts you. If se, then it's washing you through /down.

Mana to Ships Cove is about 6 hours in a 26foot boat.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the thoughts. Agree re the MCC - hopefully the do a crossing around Labour weekend. What is the coastguard app? I can see one that covers Northern region but nothing for Wellington, at least for iPhone?

Are The Brothers generally the windiest section of the crossing? 35kts seems up there with the kids on board as well?

The cruising guide you refer to - is this for Marlborough or NZ wide? Where do I get it?

So is Ships cove the place to stay? or should I be aiming to head further in for more shelter / facilities?

Awesome will give it a shot then. 

So suggested route to Queen Charlotte - is it better heading north or south of Cook rock? South is shorter but on the charts looks messier, north is longer but less drama with tides / eddies etc - assuming thats what the swirling symbol means on the charts.

the Cruising guide is great, either paper copy (if you can find one) or the electronic version in the link above.

Watch the weather, make sure you boat is up to the trip and be prepared.  I did this in a 17ft dinghy, its about getting the weather right.  Mana Island to Cape Komaru is only about 18nm; less than 4 hours at 5 knots.

Don't be tied into a schedule, but have a window of time, that's important

and have fun!

Head from mana, north or south of the island depending on conditions, head for Koamaru, once around Koamaru keep the light on the brothers in transit with the Cape until you are just off white rocks, then head for the light on long Island. This course can be safely used at night, without instruments, and keeps you clear of all obstructions including cook rock. Just be careful not to round the Cape too close, there are some nasty rocks close in! Easy in daytime - 500m is good.

The brothers windspeed will reflect what's really in the Strait.

35knots is not recommended the first time!

You can buy the paper sounds cruising guide from the Mana CC office. It's one of the best cruising guides I've used, giving great direction for anchoring in whatever wind direction you might have.

Once in the sounds, if the anchorage is not calm and quiet, your in the wrong place!

I started there, ex mana, in a raven 26. With small kids. You'll have a great time!

Head into Mana Cruising Club on a Friday night, ask around and you will get some good advise from the guys who do it all the time.  You might even find someone who is going at the same time.  If you need a suggestion of who to ask for down there, PM me.