Califont inside boat

ynot

How many people have put a califont in a yacht and kept it legal if possible?

It seems the regs say nothing that intakes or exhausts inside sleeping or Living areas is permisable.

Insurance is an issue I guess as well.

Is there a way around this?

Cheers for any input

Mine is in the aft Head as well. No longer legal is my understanding - but its been there 20+ years, no problems. The only way now is to fit a room sealed unit - but I've never seen one!!!

This area is about as fraught as the EWOF one :-(

Seems odd that we can have an open flame

Cooker and not a califont.

I would consider a cooker to be more a risk wobling around all it's life wearing out the hose not to mention burning ya eyebrows off while checking ya spaghetti.

The head is the worst place if you are using a shower in it. The Califonts gobble up the O2 and pump out CO like there is no tomorrow.

Unlike the EWOF there is no equivalent for gas. But when a gas fitter does work he has to issue his yellow compliance form for the work he did. If it is a new install then a califont is a no no. But if he comes to put a new hose on the gas bottle and sees a Califont then as IT says it is indeed very gray area

Actually it is Co2 and water that is expelled as the Gas is burned. The Co2 is bad because it is heavier than air and will suffocate you without you know anything is wrong. You simply go to sleep. Co will make you real sick and give you a whopping headache before it kills you.
By law now, All Califont's in an inclosed area must have an exhaust/vent to outside, no matter where they are located.
So that includes the Galley as well as the Head/Shower. I don't know if vented outside includes a hatch.

CO will send you to sleep and eventually causes death if there is enough exposure. The headache only kicks in if you are lucky enough to have someone find you before it is all over. 400 deaths pa in USA attributed to it. This is why they banned fixed gasoline generators in boats there and why they sell CO DETECTORS EVERYWHERE. Cashew in his cruising encyclopedia mentions how In the early days he and his wife had a very near miss with CO poisoning from a kerosene heater

In days gone by of people committing suicide by running the car in the garage, it was the CO that killed them.

My understanding of vented Califonts, this means a physical flue to the exterior. Mine was mounted under the stoves extractor hood, which has a fan, but I was told that still does not comply