waves like office blocks

Yea nah.

Mind you, it is not so much the height, but the shape and crest. Not that I have ever been in 14m, nor do I ever want to. You can keep that record for yourself IT.
When we got caught in the big seas off Wellington/Karori, the waves were at about 5-6m with the odd one ( about every 5th) really standing up, really steep with breaking crests and we were falling off the backs of them. I don't ever want to do that again. But at least it was for a short time of only a couple of hrs. Not in a storm and having to endure big seas and wind for hrs and even days on end. I feel I have got too old for that kind of stuff now.  ;-) 

I did the Melbourne to Hobart via the West Coast some years ago.

The first 24 hours was on the nose with 55knts for far too long.

The boat was 55 foot of cruising boat, slow and heavy but after the first night we were about 500m abeam of Bagatelle, a 40 foot cat with an air draft of 60 foot. Depending on the timing with the waves we lost sight of them completely.

12 hours later we had no wind or waves and a local fisherman was offering us fresh crayfish... We declined as we didn't have a pot big enough