Gold Cup

Quarter Pint

Now that SSANZ is done and coastal is a month or so away... who's looking at oding Gold Cup? Entries will still be accepted this week for the series. Details on http://www.rayc.org.nz/nexus-gold-cup-inshore-series/

The following boats have entries in:

River Rebel

Notorious

Outrageous Fortune

Bella Rosa

Whitebait

Promise

Gale Force

Truxton

Waikiwi

Starlight Express

Demonstrator

Quarter Pint

Absoulte Leisure

Can any one stop river rebel?

Almost 2 straight wins in the gold cup and I believe they won the tauranga race last year.

Seems to be performing very strongly with the new sails.

Does anyone know if it got a new keel as well?

glad it rates in div 3 for coastal as

ld have put my money on it to clean us up in div 2 as well.

We struggle to match it upwind thats for sure.

Interesting set up with the mast head chute hamish.

Was a good little race to flat rock. The last 4 miles to flat rock was by far the best part of the day. All the rest was pretty boring following the leaders.

Bring on a blast reach for coastal.

Yes River Rebel got a new keel earlier this year.

Must be time for RR's handicap to to go up too :silent:

Re: our masthead kite and reefed main... did you like that? It was a bit naff but we knew that we would need to be reefed again after flat rock so we just left the tuck in.

What made the run to flat rock interesting was the kite pole kept on pinging off in 25kts. Hopefully we can get some new springs for the pole ends before wednesday.

If only they had run the course the other way around, the ride from motuora to gannet would have been awesome.

I like the revised results more, we are up to 9th. Not sure how a boat 2m longer than us has the same PHRF. Was a strange race in a way. Only two tacks and two gybes, and one of those was on the start line. We hit 15kts on the way to flat rock, wanted to carry on instead of turning upwind again. That was with the small kite and a reef in.

There were plenty of bumps on the upwind legs. Wind was stronger than I expected. Must have hit 40 kts at one stage when we were off the noises.

Only 2 mtrs !!! Try about 4........Tongue Twister V Outrageous and a couple of others.

At 28ft .840 we give Truxton 35ft .815 and Whitebait 40 ft .810 heaps of time.

Hard for us to do any better or think about winning that one.

Just have fun going down hill :thumbup:

And by the way, Physical Favours won Tauranga last year not RR.

Was happy with that for sure.top speed 16.7 recorded on gps. First mono at gannett but I think some of them went the wrong way ( left ) then some went right on the leg to Motoora as the breeze went left ?. Only thing that kept us in the race I think.

Looking forward to the Sou West Coastal Clasic !

Saturday was shaping up to become one of the best races of the season. Plenty of breeze, sunshine for the most part and a great course out in the middle of the gulf. Promise turns up at the start only to find the biggest yacht club in the country has once again opted for going home early and given us course 2. What?? Why not use course 1? The breeze was W forecast to go NW and then back SW. Course 1 would have sent us on a reach to Flat rock, a beat to Motuora, a gigantic kite ride down to Gannet and a beat home. That would have made a great race into a fantastic one. A race with options. Admittedly the first leg would have been follow the leader. No where to go on the way up to Flat rock, but then the racing would have begun. Tacking up the side of Kawau to Motuora and then pop the kite for a huge surf downhill to Gannet. Plenty of gains and losses to be made. The a-sail boats would have trucked off on a huge downhill slide. Around Gannet and we would have the choice of against Waiheke in flatter water or out in more breeze. Some of the enjoyment of racing is having tactical decisions to make. Course 2 took all these away. I had two gybes (one of which was on the start line and the other at Flat Rock) and two tacks for the entire race (We didnt quite lay Motuora). 72 miles of follow the leader with no-where else to go except the rhumb line. While we had a great race, course 1 would have been so much better. I am not out there to go cruising, I am out there to be competitive, even if I have one of the smallest and oldest boats in the fleet. In a mixed fleet we need passing lanes. Without them we are all constrained by water-line length. Course 2 was a waterline length race. The line results agree. Andar was first and Promise was last.

The race committee do a great job and without them we wouldnt have races , but how do they get it wrong so often?

Why don't you see Promise on the Squadron races around the cans? For the same reasons as above. The choices made on the day are more often than not disappointing...They do not seem to be concerned with going racing so much as give us a nice cruise around the harbour to get us back to the club ASAP....

Fine line im sure i saw your kite pole touch the water a couple times. Looked like you had some on.

I thought it was pretty good race with 7 or 8 boats the same speed sailing next to us all day.

way I saw it tongue twister had 40 mins on truxton by gannet rock after 3 hours sailing down wind and if it didn't get so fresh upwind they easily could have held us out.

I heard you had a bit of water which never helps

You will easily get your day and clean everyone up.

Yeah ended up going through more waves than we went over, resulting in a bit of H2o throughout. Have a few plans to seal around the prod tube a bit better as the soggy rolls were a bit like bailing sponges before lunch time. Outboard wasnt too keen on starting after being swamped in its hiding place for what must have been many hours.

Just pleased that it was daylight when we finnished so we could see to clean up the mess.

Not sure if it was 40 minutes on Truxton but we did get down there in just over 2 hours. ( I want her handicap or Whitebaits would be better!!! ) :thumbdown:

If the RO set course 1 with a reach to flat & gannet, the prod boats would have built up a massive advantage.

To have only a few minutes between the top 10 on corrected time, I would suggest the overall handicapping is very close v irc where the corrected times are more spread out.

PS: Pity it looks like light conditions for labour weekend

Archived