Another building thread

Both good ole meths and white vinegar are good for cleaning up the epoxy/ fibres/spheres. A couple of minutes doing that saves 10 with a sander I find and the big thing about working 'clean 'with ply( ie not having to sand until finishing) is everything stays fair.

I built one of these "joansa" pulling boats some years ago and still have her. Have followed John Wellsford and his designs for years. Nice boat to row, sits on the water rather than in it and nicely tender! One bit of advice which I didnt do and still have not finished (dont tell John as he is a bit fanatical about this) is build the proper oars as designed, the best time to do this is in tandem with the hull so as all is ready on launching day! Oars brought from a shop are actually just bits of wood with a bit of rough shaping here and there. Recreational rowing boats are a rare item, imposable to buy off the shelf and not many people understand there use which I find most strange. I used to do a bit of cycling and fun rides around Toupo etc and one day thought wouldnt it be better and nicer to be rowing around waterways to get some exercise rather than fighting with tarseal, cars, trucks and fumes. John always says he likes the action of rowing rather than the current craze of paddling. (From a health point of view how many paddling machines do you see in gyms!) I moored Joansa for a couple of years on the mudflats where I could see her from our lounge and would nip down for a row now and then. Anyway great boat great concept.

Good to hear Ross, thanks. I have wood for the oars leaning aginst the wall at FnG's shop. Unfortunately I haven't even looked at the poor little boat since Beginning of Nov. Got really busy at work, then Dec sailed to Brisbane and Real Estate has been even busier since I got back.

Archived