Westhaven history video

Crikey I must be getting old as I can remember Flap and his tractor.

Michelle is so correct with her comments regarding the marina being in fine fettle with the inclusion of the public walkways but I do harbour fears regarding the intensification with the new building platform and the Skypath.

Crikey I must be getting old as I can remember Flap and his tractor.

Michelle is so correct with her comments regarding the marina being in fine fettle with the inclusion of the public walkways but I do harbour fears regarding the intensification with the new building platform and the Skypath.

Same here,Syd and tractor reminding people how he fought against rommel,Oh and the cradles use to be stored under the bridge opposite PCC

Does anyone else think it odd that the Council arm responsible for land development has produced a very nice warm fuzzy PR video for Westhaven?

I would have thought the actual Council comms team (all 217 of them) would have been responsible for something like this video. Or maybe the arm for tourism and economic develeopment, ATEED.

Then I think, what has Punuku been up to lately, that they got nailed on by a big fight back from the Auckland boating community? I get mixed up which marina's they are trying to get dodgy deals through for? was it 3, was it 4 marina's?

Wonder how Punuku got the budget for such a lavish PR video? Oh thats right, they can't even spend a third of their budget on what ever it is they are supposed to be doing...

Seems kind of fitting they are starting out on some good PR softening up of the Auckland boating community, now their Political masters have been made aware of their dodgy dealings.

And what usually happens after someone tries to sweet talk you? More often than not they try getting a leg over, i.e. one way or another, they're still trying to f*ck you. Go Punuku.

Thanks for the positive comments.

Fish - the project came about in order to capture some of the stories of Westhaven's past.

Individual interviews with the people that are in the video will also soon be archived with Auckland Libraries as what is called an Oral History. Video was the best way to combine these stories with the images and footage that we had available. 

The video itself is Panuku and Westhaven branded but was created very much as a labour of love by those that produced it - because they love Westhaven and got very interested in the subject matter, which meant a modest budget delivered a much more polished and sophisticated video production than you'd usually expect. 

We hope you can enjoy the video for what it is - a reflection of the place and its past, and some of the stories and memories that people have there. 

• Upvote 1

The video itself is Panuku and Westhaven branded but was created very much as a labour of love by those that produced it - because they love Westhaven and got very interested in the subject matter, which meant a modest budget delivered a much more polished and sophisticated video production than you'd usually expect. 

We hope you can enjoy the video for what it is - a reflection of the place and its past, and some of the stories and memories that people have there. 

I wouldn't want to detract from the history or the people in the video, and do hope people enjoy it too, 

but why was it Punuku branded? Punuku do land development. Why are Punuku suddenly doing nice boating community PR?

Hi Fish, 

Good question: 

Panuku actually enables all sorts of stuff to happen at Westhaven to support the boating community and the marina - including the annual Westhaven Marina Day which is now in its fourth year, sponsoring the MRX fleet and Seacleaners (amongst others), maintaining an informative website, newsletter and Facebook page where clubs and others can promote events etc, and even Westhaven's Marine Car Boot Sales are just a few examples of supporting the boating community to make sure the marina is lively and thriving. I could go on, but Panuku's commitment to the boating community goes back to the days before Panuku even existed, when it was Waterfront Auckland, and it has continued. 

Cheers,

Westhaven Team  

• Upvote 1

Right, now we are finally getting somewhere on my question, why is Panuku suddenly doing nice boating PR?.

But you missed a bit, the bit that has everyones tits in a tangle.

The new Council Controlled Organisation (CCO), Panuku Development Auckland, is a merger of two former council controlled organisations, Waterfront Auckland and Auckland Council Properties Ltd, and came out of an Auckland Council’s review of all its CCOs that began in 2013.

https://www.panuku.co.nz/new-cco-established-to-spur-on-growth-in-urban-brownfield-locations

So in addition to Panuku trying to sell off every other marina related piece of land in Auckland, they are also responsible for the aspects of the previous Waterfront Auckland.

How much stuff does Panuku enable to happen at Gulf Harbour? (other than large land transaction deals?)

PS Westhaven Team, I'm sure that outside your official capacity, you can understand the suspicion and lack of trust that Panuku has brought about.

And why are ratepayer funds being used to sponsor the MRX fleet, as opposed to say Piedy's, E5.9's, F1020's, Y88's, M class, Mullets...??? And why are ratepayers not listed with the other sponsors on the MRX website??

So what was Waterfront Auckland's role?

Can anybody count the directors in this article?

Out of the 170 staff, which ones are responsible for the sponsorship budgets?

And is Westhaven Team a well meaning member of the marina operations team that wants to educate ignorant posters / boaties, or a position 'faciliated' by one of the 217 staff on Auckland Council's comms team?

There is nothing in this article that doesn't say anything but Development...

The new Council Controlled Organisation (CCO), Panuku Development Auckland, is a merger of two former council controlled organisations, Waterfront Auckland and Auckland Council Properties Ltd, and came out of an Auckland Council’s review of all its CCOs that began in 2013.

The intent with the new entity is to bring together the commercial property and urban redevelopment skills of both legacy organisations to provide Auckland with a clearer focus on how it responds to the challenges and opportunities of a growing region. 

Sir John Wells will chair Panuku Development Auckland. He’ll be supported by three Directors from Waterfront Auckland (Richard Leggat, Susan Macken and Evan Davies), three ACPL Directors (Richard Aitken – Deputy Chair and Anne Blackburn) and three new appointments (Paul Majurey, Mike Pohio and Martin Udale). 

John Dalzell, the former Chief Executive of Waterfront Auckland, will be the Interim Chief Executive and David Rankin, the former Chief Executive of Auckland Council Property, will be the Director of Strategy and Engagement.

Auckland Council CEO Stephen Town, who has overseen the transition process, says with a specific mandate and visibility over all Council landholdings, the new organisation will be in a good position to assemble and shape larger scale and more integrated development opportunities.

“By co-ordinating and optimising Council assets and resources in agreed locations, and partnering with other landowners such as iwi or Central Government, Panuku Development Auckland will enable and ensure private sector participation at pace and in step with defined outcomes in the Auckland Plan.”

“Such outcomes will include providing quality mixed-use development where good design reflects community need and culture, demonstrates sustainability and offers a diversity of commercial premises and residential dwellings.”

John Dalzell says he’s looking forward to the challenge and opportunities the new organisation will bring.

“Whether it’s a site in Onehunga or Takapuna, our role and responsibilities will be customised to each specific project, initiative and location. A few will be of high custodial nature associated with urban regeneration. Some will be at the other end of the scale with a more facilitative role, and some will be much more able to be delivered in the short term.”

Panuku Development Auckland will have 170 staff with the majority of positions from the two previous organisations not changing or being subject to minor change.

The new head office for Panuku Development Auckland will be at the existing Waterfront Auckland offices at Pier 21, 11 Westhaven Drive. 

https://www.panuku.co.nz/new-cco-established-to-spur-on-growth-in-urban-brownfield-locations

And whilst we are on the topic maybe the Westhaven Team would care to explain to all their customers /clients when will the endless raising of marina fees cease.

The staple response “cost of inflation”is a fiscal myth,are your employees receiving regular annual increased payments in our view Panuku are not providing improvements to services to justify these continual increases.

We have had the same wonky fan worm infested marina finger with ever growing parking access issues for many many moons and have not seen any great evidence of increased services provided.

The video waxes lyrically about Westhaven being the Auckland home of boating but the $7500 a year we pay for a smaller marina we like others will seriously consider any further ramping of cost as pushing us toward choosing another more reasonably affordable family leisure activity.

.. in our view Panuku are not providing improvements to services to justify these continual increases...

In some ways services have got worse... I lived on my boat at WH at one point for a couple of months. Today liveaboards are not permitted, ostensibly because the marina doesn't have adequate toilet facilities.

There is another thread the Team should read “where are the youth”.

Not being able to sail has a lot to do with cost and from its inception Westhaven was purposed with providing ready affordable access to boating for Auckland residents.

One of the most popular gateway yachts for youth is the Pied Piper and I haven’t seen one on a Westhaven finger for quite a few haircuts.

• Upvote 2

And whilst we are on the topic maybe the Westhaven Team would care to explain to all their customers /clients when will the endless raising of marina fees cease.

The staple response “cost of inflation”is a fiscal myth,are your employees receiving regular annual increased payments in our view Panuku are not providing improvements to services to justify these continual increases.

We have had the same wonky fan worm infested marina finger with ever growing parking access issues for many many moons and have not seen any great evidence of increased services provided.

The video waxes lyrically about Westhaven being the Auckland home of boating but the $7500 a year we pay for a smaller marina we like others will seriously consider any further ramping of cost as pushing us toward choosing another more reasonably affordable family leisure activity.

Gee thats a fairly extreme thread drift.

Other than trying to understand why Panuku is suddenly doing happy boating PR, I was merely trying to establish if Westhaven Team is a well meaning individual, or a PR / Comms mouth piece for the bigger machine. - based on the assumption that posters here are private individuals, and any poster that isn't, clearly states what they are and their affiliations (i.e. business, officials posting in a private capacity but with knowledge that is topical, etc)

You think that's extreme? Hold my beer.. ;)

A Council organization sponsoring a professionally managed keelboat fleet for wealthy Aucklanders is probably consistent with Council running and subsidising an Uber-style ridesharing service for the hard-luck down-and-outs of...wait for it... Devonport.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/108856109/why-are-the-poor-paying-for-a-councilowned-uber-for-the-wealthy

Other than trying to understand why Panuku is suddenly doing happy boating PR, I was merely trying to establish if Westhaven Team is a well meaning individual, or a PR / Comms mouth piece for the bigger machine. - based on the assumption that posters here are private individuals, and any poster that isn't, clearly states what they are and their affiliations (i.e. business, officials posting in a private capacity but with knowledge that is topical, etc)

Marina Communications.

zoe.hawkins@panuku.co.nz.

Marina Communications.

zoe.hawkins@panuku.co.nz.

If I have the right Zoe Hawkins, I believe she knows a fair bit of the background of this here website.

Having set it up, way back in the day.

Certainly knows her way around comms / media, and the boating demographic.

The one and the same Zoe, guys. I have worked with the marina team for five years. 

I logged in because I wanted to address Fish's post on the video (which I am very proud of, by the way). 

With regards to other Westhaven related matters I am very happy to take genuine questions via the standard channels - email is best - and pass them on to the right people. I can see you know how to reach me! 

Signing out now. 

Happy sailing, as always. 

Zoe